When and where can your eleven or twelve year old use their cell phone?

My best friends almost twelve year old is preoccupied with her cell phone. She's constantly checking for messages and does not engage in family conversation. Her parents have decided to limit cell phone use to certain times of the day and would like to know how other parents deal with this issue. What restrictions do you have in place and what are the consequences?

teacher-author

Asked by teacher-author at 6:14 PM on Aug. 8, 2010 in Tweens (9-12)

• I can't even imagine my kids will even HAVE a cell phone at 11 or 12. What on earth does an 11 or 12 year old even need with a cell phone?
    Xynyth

Answer by Xynyth at 6:47 PM on Aug. 8, 2010

• After a church activity. While she was out of state at camp. That's about it (she's 12).
    plclemo

Answer by plclemo at 7:13 PM on Aug. 8, 2010

• My 11/12yr doesnt have a cell. I dont believe in them for this age
    momto3infl

Answer by momto3infl at 7:58 PM on Aug. 8, 2010

• Thank you for your answers. Personally, I believe that an eleven or twelve year old should not have a cell phone and I'm happy to see that opinion supported. I'm passing on your comments to my friend and hope that she will find them helpful in deciding how to proceed. Thanks again for taking the time to answer!

teacher-author

Comment by teacher-author (original poster) at 8:16 PM on Aug. 8, 2010

• The only time I can see using a cell phone is when she needs it for communication with mom and dad or a ride or some such person like that. There is no need for a child of any age to tied to their phone during dinner.
    Liansmommie

Answer by Liansmommie at 3:10 AM on Aug. 9, 2010

• Also, piclemo and Liansmommie your way of limiting cell phone usage is very sensible -- the cell phone is used when it is necessary. What makes it difficult is that all of the pre-teens in this neighborhood have a cell phone with them at all times and use it to text friends. Although It's never in use during dinner, it is available the rest of the time and is very distracting. Is there any parent out there who is facing the same issue of having to restrict usage?  Thanks for your input!

teacher-author

Comment by teacher-author (original poster) at 10:33 AM on Aug. 9, 2010

• Both my children had cell phones at 11. My older son was given one because one of his friends has Diabete's and I wanted to make sure they had a way to reach anyone should something happen, they also tend to do more dangerous things like riding their bikes down steep hills, snowboarding, sledding and I wanted them to have a way to get ahold of some one should something happen. My 15 yr old does use his phone lot, but we don't limit when other than dinner time, movies or when we have family activities. My 12 yr old its the same thing. My children have never not engaged in family conversation or one on one conversation. Its really all about respect and setting the rules and boundaries up front. (Also to clarify we live in a very small town, where everyone knows everyone - so its not uncommon for my children to have much more freedom than they would in a larger city)
    blessedwboysx3

Answer by blessedwboysx3 at 1:57 PM on Aug. 9, 2010

• My 13 yr. old does not have a cell phone. I let her use mine if she will be going to a sporting activity or staying after school and will need to call for a ride home.
    CometGirl

Answer by CometGirl at 8:16 AM on Aug. 10, 2010

• my eleven year old daughter just got a cell phone, shes autistic and recently started answering the phone.....she has it so that she can reach us and we can use the gps feature if she goes missing.....its all about her safety and my peace of mind....she doesnt use it much and she is not allowed to have it on at her school......
    michaux

Answer by michaux at 12:22 PM on Aug. 10, 2010