While I was going through a post I made the other day I saw something interesting.

Should your religion protect you from losing your job if you violate that jobs code of ethics based of religious beliefs? This was an example about a psychiatrist who was fired for not treating a lesbian wanting help with her relationship. However a psychiatrists code of ethics says they must not turn away treatment based of ones sexual preferences. So why the hell should this shrink be exempt.

hot-mama86

Asked by hot-mama86 at 6:15 PM on Aug. 8, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• No, your religion shouldn't protect you from being fired.

If the woman wasn't willing to help EVERYONE being a psychiatrist, then she was in the wrong job.

That's like saying the EMT shouldn't have to help the homosexual who was in an accident just because being homosexual goes against their religion.
    DarkFaery131

Answer by DarkFaery131 at 6:18 PM on Aug. 8, 2010

• It depends... if he is working for a Christian counseling organization or states that he is a "Christian" therapist who practices Christian psychiatry, then he has the right to state what he believes in and let her make the choice on whether to see him or someone else.. If he states that he believes that homosexuality is a sin then she would not be the brightest bulb out there if she were to continue seeing him for advice on fixing her relationship.
    momofonelilguy

Answer by momofonelilguy at 6:37 PM on Aug. 8, 2010

• Honestly, why would you want help from a therapist who feels that strongly against your life style. I'm sure there are plenty out there who could offer better help because they would not be distracted by the lesbian issue.
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 6:43 PM on Aug. 8, 2010

• I think you should take that into consideration when you start a job where you have to adhere to a code of ethics

You can choose to violate that code for your personal beliefs, but be prepared to accept the consequences

sweet-a-kins

Answer by sweet-a-kins at 7:32 PM on Aug. 8, 2010

• just another perspective....but would a lesbian want someone to treat her if he was against her choice of lifestyle ? I'm pretty sure I wouldn't want someone to treat me who wasn't at least tolerant of my sexual preference or skin colour, or religion, etc...... I think its wrong to refuse service based on these things, but in the eyes of the client, she's probably better off.....
    FXmomTo3

Answer by FXmomTo3 at 8:13 PM on Aug. 8, 2010

• The EMT example is a good one. I cannot imagine an EMT refusing to help anyone based on any reason, and they should be punished if they did refuse to help someone while on the job. Off the job, if helping the person meant leaving their small children alone in a dangerous situation, that might be different.

I am about to graduate as an R.N., and I don't believe in abortion. I will try to find employment at a hospital that does not perform abortions (looking for a Catholic hospital) so that this will not be a problem. If I am working somewhere and the hospital starts performing abortions, I will gladly help take care of a women after the procedure, because she needs good medical care, but I won't help with the procedure itself.
    Iamgr8teful

Answer by Iamgr8teful at 6:35 PM on Aug. 8, 2010

• I agree with lovinangels and also with scout mom. I think most Dr.s can turn you away, can't they? I would have to hope that in most situations, if the situation didn't mesh with the professionals personal beliefs that they would be able to recommend another professional that would be able to give a more helpful and thoughtful approach to the issue.

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 7:01 PM on Aug. 8, 2010

• There is a case, still pending, I believe, involving a student in Georgia who is suing her school because she feels that they are asking her to change her religious beliefs--when in fact, she is very anti-gay, and as she is in the counseling program, she is being asked to follow a remediation plan to learn how to be more sensitive to others.  She has been very outspoken against what she perceives as "the gay lifestyle", and her school feels that this could be detrimental to those she would counsel.  The field in which she hopes to graduate has its own code of ethics that everyone must agree to follow. It's a very interesting case and question. I think that if one's personal/religious beliefs prevent one from being able to perform a job, then that person is in the wrong field.

jsbenkert

Answer by jsbenkert at 9:04 PM on Aug. 8, 2010

• I think that you need to set your personal beliefs to the side to an extent while in the workplace. I think you should be required to meet the demands of the job.
    LovingSAHMommy

Answer by LovingSAHMommy at 11:33 PM on Aug. 8, 2010

• I don't think she should have lost her job. People CHOOSE which therapist to use..you don't choose an EMT. Why would you choose a therapist that doesn't want to treat you for religious reasons...she was seeking help for her relationship...not because she needed help getting through the death of a parent.

I don't think you should be able to refuse if it is a "life or limb" situation. If it is a choice situation, you most certainly should be able to choose.
    yourspecialkid

Answer by yourspecialkid at 11:38 AM on Aug. 9, 2010