How do you feel about No Kill Animal Shelters?

I myself am not a fan of No Kill Shelters and will not support them. After learning how many animals they have to turn out or refuse because they are "no kill" I feel they are doing more harm than good.

But I was wondering how many other people feel this way, or how many feel differently. I guess I see myself as a minority (yet again) on this issue because if more felt like me we would have less no kill shelters...

So what do you all think?

Asked by SabrinaMBowen at 6:22 PM on Aug. 8, 2010 in Pets

• ;)
    shannonsmom555

Answer by shannonsmom555 at 6:23 PM on Aug. 8, 2010

• I try not to think about the animal situation. Honestly, there are so many humans without enough, and then when you get into the animals...it's just heartbreaking.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 6:24 PM on Aug. 8, 2010

• The issue with "No Kill" shelters is that they truly are not that because they turn animals away when they are full and then where do the animals go.....on the street, to a kill shelter, etc.

They are a great concept that, with careful planning on size of shelter and number of foster homes, can work.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 6:29 PM on Aug. 8, 2010

• Well, we tend to donate things like old blankets and toys which can't be used by Human charities to Animal Shelters because most times they can use the stuff, but our county has gone just about all no kill, which I will not support, so we drive over to the next county instead. But I was thinking "Why are there all these No Kills now?" And I know that when the local Kennel went No Kill they fought the change and the major donors all said they had to go No Kill or they would pull funding... I guess to me No Kill only looks good on paper, but in reality it just doesn't work well.

Comment by SabrinaMBowen (original poster) at 6:31 PM on Aug. 8, 2010

• I talked to one of the ladies that fought the change locally, she said that more than once now she has had to tell people she can't take their animal and they've told her flat out, "If you don't take this dog, I'm just going to leave him on the road" and she still can't take them... I would rather they put the animals to sleep than have them thrown out on the road to starve or end up hit...

Comment by SabrinaMBowen (original poster) at 6:34 PM on Aug. 8, 2010

• I don't agree with them. I understand their view point, no one wants to see animals suffer or have to be put down for no reason other than they just aren't wanted, but we're talking about animals here. I think it's more humane to euthanize them than to make them live in a cage all their lives because they aren't being adopted.
    ghostwriter777

Answer by ghostwriter777 at 6:35 PM on Aug. 8, 2010

• No kill just means that they would rather them suffer. It is crap, really. They are animals, and they suffer from starvation, injuries, and abuse. If there is no one to care for them, why not let them sleep? It isn't nearly as painful as life is for them. Besides, people whos heart bleeds for these animals need to grow up and realize that PEOPLE are more important. Dogs in America live better than people in other countries. It is sad and pathetic and stupid, spoiled people are to blame.
    momof3josephs

Answer by momof3josephs at 6:50 PM on Aug. 8, 2010

• I have many mixed feelings about both- I hate to think about them being locked in cages & being put down! I wish i could take care of all of them! It makes my stomach turn either way- :(
    daisyb

Answer by daisyb at 6:54 PM on Aug. 8, 2010

• I have had 7 rescue dogs over the years: all from shelters. Only one came from a No Kill shelter. This dog had spent her entire life in a cage and had awful problems adjusting to family life. We only had her about 6 months because she attacked our other dog and our son , unprovoked. We had to put her down. All my other animals came from the dog pound. I'd go to the front desk and get the cage numbers of the dogs whose time was up and selected our new pets from those. Every one of those dogs was WONDERFUL and lived long, long happy lives in our home. So my experience with a No Kill shelter dog wasn't very good. But the "pound puppies" were overjoyed to be in a home.
    companygoddess

Answer by companygoddess at 7:21 PM on Aug. 8, 2010

• I have to agree that No Kill Shelters do more harm than good. After working as a vet tech, I've seen many animals that should've been destroyed because they were unsafe or unable to adapt to life outside of a cage. If an animal's been locked in a cage or kennel 6 mo. or longer, you might as well forget it adjusting to a life outside that cage. There's such an overabundance of dogs and cats in this country that shelter spots shouldn't be used up for unadoptable animals.
    ramawin

Answer by ramawin at 7:42 PM on Aug. 8, 2010