What do you say when...?

(this is sort of a jump off from my other post)..

you have two kids in the family the same age (literally, they are only an hour and a half apart)... and you feel that sometimes people comment about differences in the kids?
Example: My daughters speech is alittle delayed. Well, more her pronunciation of words. But she knows her colors, shapes, how to count, can tell time, and putting ideas and such together she's WELL above her age for. She has good manners, understands sharing, and games, and can color and draw well (faces, shapes, some letters, etc).

My nephew, has a great vocabulary and pronounces words well. He know's his ABC's, and can build things good. But he doesn't take directs well. He doesn't play well with others (in fact is quite the bully lately), and can be aggressive.
But bottom line, they developed different. So what! Why point out flaws in my kid when you can't see the flaws in your own kid?

xxhazeldovexx

Asked by xxhazeldovexx at 6:30 PM on Aug. 8, 2010 in Parenting Debate

• Honestly, I would start to say things like, "gosh, he doesn't say please yet? they expect that around a year."
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 6:33 PM on Aug. 8, 2010

• Mean-ness....Why point out flaws period. Everybody has them. I am a firm believer that if you are missing things in one area...like speech for instance...you get it back in another area....like smarts.. :)

mom2twobabes

Answer by mom2twobabes at 6:32 PM on Aug. 8, 2010

• It sounds like this kids parents are stupid as all hell... want me to have a go at them?
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 6:32 PM on Aug. 8, 2010

• Some women find it hard to see the flaws in their offspring, it is not right, but I can understand how all that love can blind you.

Answer by older at 6:34 PM on Aug. 8, 2010

• bumped!

Answer by older at 6:35 PM on Aug. 8, 2010

• I always here how "advanced" he is, and then a comment about my daughters speech. It pisses me off. Especially when I can see how advanced my daughter is in just about everything else, and can see where my nephew is lacking. I know kids develop differently, and that honestly they both have flaws in some areas and are advanced in others.... so what is the point of pointing out just flaws about my kid while saying your kid is special?
    xxhazeldovexx

Comment by xxhazeldovexx (original poster) at 6:33 PM on Aug. 8, 2010

• he know's how to say please, and what it means, he just chooses not to because it's not enforced by his parents. I enforce that with my daughter and she's always said please and thank you as soon as she started learning those words (around a year old).
    xxhazeldovexx

Comment by xxhazeldovexx (original poster) at 6:34 PM on Aug. 8, 2010

• lol, or men (this happens to be my brother I'm referring to).
    xxhazeldovexx

Comment by xxhazeldovexx (original poster) at 6:37 PM on Aug. 8, 2010

• he just chooses not to because it's not enforced by his parents.

hence, he's not using his manners? wow, that's really unusual. You should check that out.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 6:38 PM on Aug. 8, 2010

• Children develop at different paces- very immature and aholey of them to pick apart your dd. I say shrug it off and let your little woman be who she's going to be unless the delay becomes an actual problem. (Which is for YOU to worry about- not them) UNLESS they make these comments in front of your dd, then I would have to tell them to mind their own and never comment on her "delay" in front of her again.
    SinfulBliss

Answer by SinfulBliss at 6:41 PM on Aug. 8, 2010