It is now illegal, but people used to...

make a million bucks by putting an advertisement in the classifieds that read: send $1 to the following address.

sherribeare

Asked by sherribeare at 6:36 PM on Aug. 8, 2010 in Money & Work

• It is only illegal if you promise something you do not follow through on, like first commenter said. There were two college guys a few years back who advertised "Manual mixer, old fashioned. $3", or something like that. Well, lots of people ordered and received a wooden spoon like you can buy at the Dollar Store or whatever. They sued, and the judge ruled in favor of the young guys that sold them spoons. They did not misrepresent the product, so they were allowed to keep the money. They made over a million, I do believe. Lol.
    LittleWeloosMom

Answer by LittleWeloosMom at 8:30 PM on Aug. 8, 2010

• Actually, unless they were promising a product or that the money would go in to a charity or something it's not really illegal. If you want to place an ad that says something like "Help our family, send $1 to ADDRESS" it's not illegal as long as you claim the money if you make over $600 - frankly, I don't think you would make anything, but if you wanted to do it, there isn't really a law against it...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 6:39 PM on Aug. 8, 2010

• I din't know that is illegal...ummm
    ckap4707

Answer by ckap4707 at 6:47 PM on Aug. 8, 2010

• I'm 99% sure that it's illegal, but I'm not going to do it. I just found it on the "interesting ways to make a million" list.
    sherribeare

Comment by sherribeare (original poster) at 6:49 PM on Aug. 8, 2010

• People post those little donate buttons on their blogs and websites all the time. You could try something like that.
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 8:51 PM on Aug. 8, 2010