Should I let my daughter name the cows?

She is only 2...... By naming them, will she get attached to them or should we just keep calling them "the cows?"

sherribeare

Asked by sherribeare at 6:58 PM on Aug. 8, 2010 in Pets

• Ok, I have many friends with beef cattle. They name them. Just explain to her what they're going to be eventually. When my
    girls were little and we'd walk through the Fair barns, we would play "what's that cow for" and they learned that dairy cows give us
    milk, butter, etc. and beef cattle give us steak, hamburger, etc. Kids need to know where their food comes from. She may get attached but it will help if she knows from the start that they're not staying for good. Best of luck!
    ramawin

Answer by ramawin at 7:04 PM on Aug. 8, 2010

• I have heard from farmer friends not to let the children name them or form a bond with them. Keep them remote.

Answer by Bmat at 6:59 PM on Aug. 8, 2010

• There was an incident here at a 4H fair where a girl's cow won and as was arranged was then sold to be slaughtered. She was inconsolable. Finally the buyer gave her the animal back, but her family shamed her into returning it. It was very sad.

Answer by Bmat at 7:07 PM on Aug. 8, 2010

• mommy whats for dinner? "tonight we are going to eat booboo, dear"
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 7:11 PM on Aug. 8, 2010

• What are your intentions for the cows? I am guessing your aren't keeping them...Are they to be sold or eaten. I wouldn't name them if you plan on eating them.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 7:19 PM on Aug. 8, 2010

• Yes, they will be sold.
    sherribeare

Comment by sherribeare (original poster) at 7:21 PM on Aug. 8, 2010

• Sure, then when you slaughter them for food you can tell her that you are eating so and so ....
    bcauseimthemom

Answer by bcauseimthemom at 7:42 PM on Aug. 8, 2010

• We always named everything. Just don't tell her who she's eating, and if you're just selling them, then don't worry about it. If she's a farm kid she's just going to have to learn to deal with it.
    Tes...Jacksmami

Answer by Tes...Jacksmami at 6:13 AM on Aug. 9, 2010