Is it normal?

Is it normal for a 13 year old to have a yeast infection and if so what to do to get rid of it do over the counter products work for it?

MsPhyllis1985

Asked by MsPhyllis1985 at 7:04 PM on Aug. 8, 2010 in Health

• I do not know how normal it is but it should be treated, ask the pharmacist what he recommends.

Answer by older at 7:06 PM on Aug. 8, 2010

• I would take her to the doctor to make sure that's what it is. It could be a different problem.
    ramawin

Answer by ramawin at 7:07 PM on Aug. 8, 2010

• I agree with Ramawin. Better to be safe than sorry. Or to treat her for something she doesn't have.
    BobbieJo286

Answer by BobbieJo286 at 7:09 PM on Aug. 8, 2010

• Don't treat with OTC products til you know for sure what it is - take her to the doctor. Yes it's possible for a 13yo to have a YI - it's just as possible for it to be something else too, which can be worsened by using OTC YI products.
    4time-mom

Answer by 4time-mom at 7:10 PM on Aug. 8, 2010

• i agree that the first yeast infection should be officially diagnosed by a dr.
    to promote good health and to prevent them in the future... get a good probiotic and cut way back on the sugar.
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 7:15 PM on Aug. 8, 2010

• Has she been on antibiotics? If so they cause them.
    queen.bee

Answer by queen.bee at 8:40 PM on Aug. 8, 2010

• thanks for the feed back ladies I'm not sure if she ever been on any antibiotics but i had to ask this question for my cousin her daughter been complaining about itching inside and sometime burning when she pee. I told her to take her daughter to the hospital so she can find out what's really going on.
    MsPhyllis1985

Comment by MsPhyllis1985 (original poster) at 10:14 PM on Aug. 8, 2010

• You can get a yeast infection at any age (my middle daughter got them alot when she was little, and now my 6 year old gets them some times). It's from not wiping that well after peeing.......
    cfh72

Answer by cfh72 at 10:29 PM on Aug. 8, 2010

• @cfh72 really i didn't know you can get a yeast infection from not wiping properly I just look up some info on yeast infection and i read that women that are diabetic get them a lot thanks for pointing that out cfh72
    MsPhyllis1985

Comment by MsPhyllis1985 (original poster) at 10:32 PM on Aug. 8, 2010