Does Anyone's Daughter-In-Law Do

This? She never uses any of the gifts we give her, even ones she has sugg. she likes? I don't know whether she just doesn't like evrything, or she re-gifts them, as she told me she did w/gifts from Florida when my GR-son was little. We've tried all sorts of things, I try to get ideas from the house, ask my son etc. My husband made a model plan which he cherished, and gave it to our Gr-son (not our sons son) and he told us his Mother slammed it in the trunk and broke it on purpose, & threw it in the attic. We also noticed she never uses anything from his 2 sisters either. If it's something I have given him, then yes we see it. I just wondered has anyone else had this problem? I try very hard to display my gifts so I won't hurt anyones feeling even her's, I don't expect her to like or have my taste, but gee EVERYTHING. When I lend her something I never get it back, seems she always likes it then. :(

MyAngel003

Asked by MyAngel003 at 7:12 PM on Aug. 8, 2010 in Adult Children (18+)

• I am sorry that your DIL has this attitude. Maybe you'd better go with gift cards? That is especially outrageous about the plane. I rarely get to my DIL's houses so I don't know if they use what I give them. I don't really care. I'd like them to use something that I spent time and money on, but whatever. They do turn down family items, which is too bad, and causes me to have to simply give them to charity, where of course they won't be cherished as they should be- but I understand that they may consider it clutter. I don't consider the items clutter, but I am trying to downsize the amount of stuff I have.

Answer by Bmat at 7:25 PM on Aug. 8, 2010

• i don't have a daughter in law..but i am a daughter in law. My MIL has good taste. I appreciate gifts from her. She is always buying me cute earrings and i love them. The first pair she ever bought me were kinda ugly and i was honest and told her i didnt wear stuff like that and she asked what i like and i told her and now we have no problems. I don't mind getting used things either. She gives me books, pans, etc..i like it. My SIL don't though. Maybe she is just to proud to take anything used..idk? I will admit though that i am very bad at returning borrowed items...they tend to get lost in my house. If you let me borrow something don't expect to get it back anytime soon...you may see it back in 2 wks..you may see it in 2 years. ya never know.
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 7:19 PM on Aug. 8, 2010

• i'm the one giving gifts to my mother -in law through 31 years she has not like any thing i gave her i just stop
    my future daughter in law is turning into one a bitch so no gifts for her
    dutchcanadain

Answer by dutchcanadain at 12:19 AM on Aug. 9, 2010

• I think when you specifically tell me you would like this or that and I make a point to get it to please you, then you can have the common courtesy to use. It's not like I go out & get any old thing & expect her to like it, I'm not quite that insensitive.
    MyAngel003

Comment by MyAngel003 (original poster) at 8:21 PM on Aug. 8, 2010

• Why does this bother you so much? If she doesn't like it she doesn't like it. Once you give a gift it is the receivers to do as they wish... even if it means regifting. If it is so important for your gift to be used and cherished, try giftcards.
    bcauseimthemom

Answer by bcauseimthemom at 7:40 PM on Aug. 8, 2010