How and when do you start to potty train?

The other day I was out and a lady asked me how old my daughter was (18 months). Then she looked at me like I was crazy when I told her I hadn't started to potty train. She said with girls you start at 15 months. Apparently both her girls were "done" being potty trained by 18 months. I just thought that was a little early....

HolliBerry21

Asked by HolliBerry21 at 7:15 PM on Aug. 8, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• 18 months is a good time to introduce the potty, but it rarely happens in one day. It's a process. The sooner you start introducing the concept the easier it will be when it comes to putting it in action. It also just depend on your child. I doubt that lady's kids had absolutely no accidents after they were "done" at 18 months.

I've been hearing a lot of great things about the Dr. Phil potty training method (just Google it). I think I'm going to start using that method next month when my DD turns 18 months. I know she's ready, because I can recognize when she's going both #1 and #2, so I know when to put her on the potty.
    redmoonintexas

Answer by redmoonintexas at 12:19 AM on Aug. 9, 2010

• You can start then, but, a it will be you trained and most like elimination communication. Or you can wait until they show all the signs and the train. My son was2.5 and he was done in 4 days.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 7:18 PM on Aug. 8, 2010

• I don't know but my son is almost 3 years old and I haven't started potty training yet. He is starting to exhibit the signs now and when we get our own place, we will start potty training. :) You just have to know your child. Don't give in to pressure about being "too late" for potty training.
    mrsjksimmons

Answer by mrsjksimmons at 7:20 PM on Aug. 8, 2010

• You can start as early as you want, and it is NOT training you. The baby/child does learn to control those muscles. My daughter was 9 months old and got very constipated while on vacation. I sat her up on the toilet - anything to make her more comfortable. At the end of the week she was holding it and waiting until I put her on the toilet to poop. I continued the next week (didn't want to put a stop to a good thing) and she started peeing as well!! She can hold it and make herself go. Seems to me like she has the control. Now she is not completely dry and is 18 months old. I am now seriously working on it and have her in underwear during the day. (Start when you want! Just know that usually the earlier you start the longer it will take to train them - not impossible, just longer.)
    micheledo

Answer by micheledo at 7:24 PM on Aug. 8, 2010

• i have twins, and one really seems ready, and one does not. i also have a newborn. i think if my one that seems ready was my only child, i think he would be potty trained. i know a woman that is in her 80's. her kids are in their 50's. her mother potty trained the young ones as infants. she just kept them on a rigid schedule, and held them over the potty until they peed! i had one trained at 2 1/2 and one at 3. 18 months seems young...i wouldn't let a stranger's opinion bother me! all kids are different, and not a ton of 18 month olds are potty trained.
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 7:27 PM on Aug. 8, 2010

• My first daughter was trained 2 wks. before she turned 3 but my second one was trained by 2. It varies with what the child is ready for. My second daughter actually started training at 18mo. but then she started backsliding so I just let her go at her pace. One thing I did learn, once they really start, put them in panties! The diapers and pull-ups today stay so dry that they don't realize they've gone sometimes but the first time my daughter peed down her leg it was the LAST time!
    ramawin

Answer by ramawin at 7:29 PM on Aug. 8, 2010

• my oldest dd was done by the time she was 2
    my youngest who is 2 now we are working on it and she goes to the potty but not fully done yet .
    i would start when she starts showing signs if she can tell you she went to the bathroom or has a dirty diaper .
    if she can talk and say potty .
    britme1027

Answer by britme1027 at 7:43 PM on Aug. 8, 2010

• My 10 1/2 month old has been out of diapers since 9 months, and rarely used them a month or 2 before that. The USA potty trains very very late, and that comes with unique issues. You can start much, much earlier. I pottied traditionally from birth. but it doesn't have to be that early. Elimination_Communication_Path_to_a_Diaper_Free_Baby
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 7:48 PM on Aug. 8, 2010

• my daughter just turned 2 in july and i am also trying to potty train. i just have to learn patience
    mommy2b0805

Answer by mommy2b0805 at 11:40 PM on Aug. 8, 2010

• So, take all the effort and waste 9 months on it.."and it's NOT you trained"....or just wait it out and be done in 4 days..WOW, hard decision.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 7:26 PM on Aug. 8, 2010