I'm in pain...

I have an abscessed tooth, and it really hurts. Of course I called the dentist, but the soonest he can see me is the 13th. Does anyone know anything I can do in the meantime? This is terrible!!

mandaday

Asked by mandaday at 10:25 PM on Oct. 5, 2008 in Health

• An abscess can be really serious, I don't want to scare you, but the infection can reach your brain...

I don't know where you live, but we have an emergency dental clinic here. You should see if you have one in your area...

In the mean time, do everything you can to clean it. Express any pus out of it, and rinse rinse rinse with a half and half solution of mouth wash and water. Also try hydrogen peroxide mixed with water. Clean your mouth after every time you eat and/or drink something. I know that sounds excessive, but it needs to be done.

Good Luck!!
    CarolynBarnett

Answer by CarolynBarnett at 10:28 PM on Oct. 5, 2008

• Have you tried orajel to ease the pain?
    Anonymous

• I say rinse your mouth with hydrogen peroxide.
    Anonymous

• If you have cloves get one and bite down on it with the tooth that hurts, it will help with the pain.
    sammiesmom2000

Answer by sammiesmom2000 at 10:33 PM on Oct. 5, 2008

• Call ur dentist & ask him 2 put u on an anitbiotic & something 4 pain @ least until ur appt. bc more than likely, if nothings changed by then, he won't b able to do ne thing until the infection goes away. My brother just went thru this & that's what his dentist did 4 him. hope u feel better soon hun.
    LovingParent08

Answer by LovingParent08 at 10:34 PM on Oct. 5, 2008

• Yeah, I need to call and beg for drugs tomorrow. I've been a mess all weekend. I even snapped at my kids, and I am normally patient to the point of being ridiculous.
    mandaday

Answer by mandaday at 10:39 PM on Oct. 5, 2008

• I agree with loving parent...he is going to put you on an atibiotic before he can treat it anyway, so call and ask him to call in a script for a z-pac to the pharmacy for you.
    megmckn

Answer by megmckn at 10:39 PM on Oct. 5, 2008

• motrin is best for the pain. 800 mgms or better is what a dentist would prescribe. if you can stand to put a little raw onion on the affected tooth, it will really help. eating onions will help! apply heating pad to jaw.
    PhillyMom884

Answer by PhillyMom884 at 12:26 AM on Oct. 6, 2008

• Go in to the er. They will normally give you something when you tell them the dentist won't see you till later. They might be able to get you appointment moved up too.
    ColleenF30

Answer by ColleenF30 at 12:35 AM on Oct. 6, 2008

• The 13th is the earliest he/she can see you? That's ridiculous! It can be dangerous to wait that long! I would call back and let them know IT CAN'T WAIT! They may not be able to pull it or work on it til then, but they can give you some antibiotics and pain meds til then.

They may require to see you before giving you vicoden or other pain meds, but it'll be worth it!
    Renelephant

Answer by Renelephant at 1:25 AM on Oct. 6, 2008