Harnesses?

How do you feel about toddlers wearing harnesses? (the ones with the stuffed animal on the back) Do you use them? How does your toddler like it?

sstepph

Asked by sstepph at 8:26 PM on Aug. 8, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• If it keeps the kid safe..why not? Some kids are runners.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 8:29 PM on Aug. 8, 2010

• If my husband would let me I would use when I make trips on the bus with my 2 year old. But he thinks its cruel so I am forced to drag a full sized stroller a diaper bag and a toddler every time i go anywhere.
    luvsmysonjames

Answer by luvsmysonjames at 8:30 PM on Aug. 8, 2010

• I would not put my kids on a leash even if it was in the form of a cute puppy backpack. I would put them in a stroller and then teach them to stay by me.
    AshJoe05

Answer by AshJoe05 at 8:36 PM on Aug. 8, 2010

• Ok..What if your kid wants to walk around too? And at least the harness keeps anyone from snatching them and they don;t have to hold your hand so they can feel independent and like a big kid.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 8:44 PM on Aug. 8, 2010

• I think it looks silly, HOWEVER, it has one purpose...to keep your child safe if u can't grab them in time. I haven't had to use one, but I have a few friends with "special needs" children...and they use them to hold the child while in public without having to worry about them wondering off, etc. I dont think they are an awful thing to use if u have to.
    JamiHartley

Answer by JamiHartley at 8:51 PM on Aug. 8, 2010

• I used one with my almost two year old when I also had a new born and no one to help. I don't think they should be used all the time, but it was very nice when I was by myself and couldn't bring a stroller. I personally only used it when there was a danger of running out in front of cars or getting lost in a large crowd.
    montanagal2005

Answer by montanagal2005 at 8:53 PM on Aug. 8, 2010

• i never considered them until...my now 2 yo boy!
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 8:54 PM on Aug. 8, 2010

• I don't think I'd use it bc I don't like getting dirty looks from people. Yaa I know I can pretend I don't care but I do. Plus my two year old just needs to learn to stay next to me. I don't expect him to understand till he's about three and half but they eventually learn to stay next to us, it just takes time and attention.
    johnnybgood

Answer by johnnybgood at 9:16 PM on Aug. 8, 2010

• I never really went anywhere I would need one until I flew across the country with my 18month old daughter. I got one then because I didn't want to lose her in a huge airport. It helped me out a lot. She had the freedom to walk, and I had the security knowing she wouldn't be able to get to far from me, and that if someone tried to grab her in a crowded area, I'd know right away. I don't think anyone in the world could argue that it doesn't keep the child safer, especially in high traffic areas. And I don't understand why having a safe toddler is a bad thing. Sometimes a little bit of extra help does a lot of good, and I feel like child leashes, (especially the cute little backpack ones that kids love) are great! Kids are squirmy, and its hard to hold a childs hand when they don't want you too, plus a bunch of grocery bags, or other things. Leashes can give the child and mommy (or daddy) what they need
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:21 PM on Aug. 8, 2010

• Depends on the kid and the situation. Mine listened and were very shy so they didn't stray far from us, but I have seen many children who should have been on them at the zoo and mall etc.
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 9:29 PM on Aug. 8, 2010