Is my water softener salvageable?

HELP my mom came to help over the weekend and apparently thought the water softener was a trash can and threw all the lint from the dryer in there. :{ My hubby is FUMING and now thinks we need a whole new one. Is this true?? Can it be fixed?

MamaLisa1976

Asked by MamaLisa1976 at 8:33 PM on Aug. 8, 2010 in General Parenting

• I haven't had a water softener in years...she threw the lint into the tank that the salt goes in, which is separate from the unit? Were you able to just take it out, or did it look like it had mixed in with the salt somehow? No matter what, I think I would call someone that sells them in the morning and ask. I think if it were just lying on the top of the salt it would be OK, but if it mixed in and went through the system, then that could be a problem.
    beckie66

Answer by beckie66 at 12:22 AM on Aug. 9, 2010

• Um, I'm not really sure how it works, I went down later and took the lid off & it looks like there's water in the bottom and the lint has completely blended in with the water - it's thicker on top, it looks like, but it's not like I can grab a hunk of lint and take it out. :(
    MamaLisa1976

Comment by MamaLisa1976 (original poster) at 9:52 AM on Aug. 9, 2010

• I think you should be ok...but why would she mistake that for trash, they have water in them?
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 10:21 AM on Aug. 9, 2010

• <:) I have NO idea... it looks like a tall, skinny, bright blue outside trash can - the top looks just like a trash can lid. But there's water in the bottom and tubes inside... I'm assuming she didn't look inside & just pitched the lint in there. I haven't told her yet... I don't know if I should. I don't want to make her feel bad. :(
    MamaLisa1976

Comment by MamaLisa1976 (original poster) at 10:40 AM on Aug. 9, 2010