DAY # 3

SO I have a son turning 3 in Nov. He Has gone on the potty but I think would just rather not, if we ask him he says no, but he can go if he wants to. after months of this, I decided to just do underpants training because I have a week off of work and thought this woul dbe the best time. so far, day # 3 and he has yet to tell me before he has to go and he will poop and pee in his underpants and just want a new pair = - he liteally does not care,We will bring him but we basically have to drag him back in to the potty.. I think he is ready, I mean, he's going to be 3... I don't know.. I am frustrated and I am not making him feel bad or mad when he has an accident but I really don't know if he's getting it. any advice?

maxsmom11807

Asked by maxsmom11807 at 8:35 PM on Aug. 8, 2010 in General Parenting

• Too early to start! He is NOT ready! Boys take longer and if he is kicking and screaming you are doing more harm than good. Just give up for awhile and try again later. I live by the rule start before they are 3 and it will take you a year, wait til they are 3 and it will take you a week. I have potty trained 3 sons and I waited until each was 3 and had no issues.
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 10:10 AM on Aug. 9, 2010

• You aren't supposed to wait for them to ask. Take him every 15 minutes at first and have him try. Then, when that is routine...up it to 30 and so on.. He will get it and it will be second nature.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 8:37 PM on Aug. 8, 2010

• OH I meant to add that, I realized that he won't tell me so I have to take him and do take him but he fights me, like kicking and screaming fighting me on it and I thought that you werent' supposed to get them upset or it could cause set backs also - I am doing it anyway so he doesn't pee everywhere since he thinks that is ok or funny at this point. ..
    maxsmom11807

Comment by maxsmom11807 (original poster) at 8:39 PM on Aug. 8, 2010

• I would try making him clean himself up. That worked for one of my sons. He had to go to the bathroom, undress, put the poop in the toilet, and dress himself with no help from me (I did make sure he was cleaned up). He was not allowed out of the bathroom until he was clean. I would remind him that he had poop and pee on himself and that was only allowed in the bathroom. If he would go in the potty he wouldn't have to change himself and clean up.

It didn't work with my second son. He LOVED cleaning up and would get excited. LOL! With him, if he wet his pants or pooped, he had to go naked the rest of the day. I refused to get him dry pants because he wet the only pair he was allowed to wear.
    micheledo

Answer by micheledo at 8:40 PM on Aug. 8, 2010

• LOL..Ok...then I suggest following micheledo's advice. Haha
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 8:41 PM on Aug. 8, 2010

• My oldest son wasn't potty trained until after his 3rd birthday, and even then it took me months. He would do great pooping on the potty, but we had such a hard time getting him to pee on the potty. I did the naked thing, and that seemed to work better than putting him in underwear. Underwear can feel just like a diaper, and so sometimes kids just don't understand the difference. Also, put the potty chair in the living room, play room, or where ever you all spend the most time. That way you don't have to drag him out of the room every 15 minutes. Once he has it mastered, then move the potty chair to the bathroom.

My second son potty trained in 1 day, when he was 2 and a half. I put his chair in the living room, stripped him down naked, and that was that. Some kids are just more difficult than others.
    my2.5boys

Answer by my2.5boys at 10:01 PM on Aug. 8, 2010

• I would be so embarressed if my almost 3 year old wasn't potty trained! Does he understand the concept of what he is supposed to be doing? If so I would just spank his ass when he poops his pants.
    luvsmysonjames

Answer by luvsmysonjames at 9:47 PM on Aug. 8, 2010