Will my teenage daughter always hate me?

moms,teens,mad,uncool

faithoflove

Asked by faithoflove at 8:40 PM on Aug. 8, 2010 in Teens (13-17)

• ugh... Teens... I feel SO bad for what I put my mom through ~ and my sister was worse... depends on your relationship and if its only hormones.. I "hated" my mom and went through stages of that but she has always been my best friend in my eyes... I am 31 and we talk daily but there was a time from 11 to 16 or so that I went through that nasty teens years
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 8:42 PM on Aug. 8, 2010

• No, she won't always hate you, and she probably doesn't really hate you now. Hormones do some crazy things to us women.
    queen.bee

Answer by queen.bee at 8:43 PM on Aug. 8, 2010

• Until she's about 20, or until she's no longer living under your rules, she will resent you. I'm telling you, teenage girls are not for the faint of heart or thin skinned. I have not had any such issues with my 19 year old son. Glad my girl is 23 and living on her own.
    Sisteract

Answer by Sisteract at 8:45 PM on Aug. 8, 2010

• They do not really mean when they say this, she doesn't hate you, she is telling you she welcomes structure, just in her language.

Answer by older at 8:45 PM on Aug. 8, 2010

• LOL! Trust me, I have two adult daughters. They lose their minds when they become teenagers, but they find it again as soon as they have children of their own! You will soon become their idol and the best mother in the world once again, mom. Just hang in there.
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 8:46 PM on Aug. 8, 2010

• I agree with Sisteract - she should change at some point in her 20s (it will seem like forever). I still don't have the relationship I would like to have with my 21yo. daughter, so I find other things to keep me busy.
    tasches

Answer by tasches at 8:48 PM on Aug. 8, 2010

• No she won't.
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 8:51 PM on Aug. 8, 2010

• It depends on how you have treated her and how you are treating her.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 8:54 PM on Aug. 8, 2010

• No. My mom and I never got along when I was a teenager. I now know she only wanted what was best for me but then I thought she was trying to ruin my life. The teenage drama! I'm so glad I have 2 boys! =)

Things got much better once I went to college. We are now great friends and I talk to her almost every day!
    KJohnson4762

Answer by KJohnson4762 at 8:55 PM on Aug. 8, 2010

• No she won't always hate you. Do all you can to keep the lines of communication open and keeping a positive frame of mind on your end. Here is an article that might be helpful to you http://www.ehow.com/how_5512326_communicate-connect-teenager.html

Also there are great books about raising and understanding teens (see the section on teenagers http://www.cjkidz.com/parentsgrandparentsteachers.html )  Remaining calm and educating yourself are the things YOU can do for yourself (since you can't always control her actions).

momjs

Answer by momjs at 8:57 PM on Aug. 8, 2010