What is wrong with Died? Death? Dying?

Why do people insist on using euphemisms?

Asked by rkoloms at 9:03 PM on Aug. 8, 2010 in Just for Fun

• like saying passed away, etc? i dunno. i say the d word... lol
    dixie383

Answer by dixie383 at 9:05 PM on Aug. 8, 2010

• I agree with you, I think sometimes people go overboard. One of the weirdest ones I have heard is "they crossed over the rainbow bridge." Which make sme think of leprecauns LOL
    I think people are uncomfortable with their own mortality and saying someone died does seem blunt.
    MommaofH2

Answer by MommaofH2 at 9:06 PM on Aug. 8, 2010

• Sometimes it just makes things sound "softer" like when I tell my 2-1/2 year old "" You need to stop talking NOW and shut your mouth" sounds softer to be than SHUT UP NOW
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 9:06 PM on Aug. 8, 2010

• NOTHING. Absolutely nothing. And the euphemisms often can mislead and confuse children. My husband is not late, he is dead. He did not pass, he died.
    aliceinalgonac

Answer by aliceinalgonac at 9:07 PM on Aug. 8, 2010

• I've never heard the rainbow bridge used to refer to anything but pets. There is a story about the rainbow bridge and dogs dying. I really don't mind the euphemisms, especially when they focus on new life. We say someone passed, because we are focused not on death, but passing from one life into the next. The same thing with crossed over." My favorite though is "went home." It really makes the point that, at least for Christians, this world is not our home and death, while sad for those remaining is not a bad thing.
    Bluebonnet72

Answer by Bluebonnet72 at 9:26 PM on Aug. 8, 2010

• the first time I heard my mom refer to a friend who lost her husband, I asked if she found him...

Comment by rkoloms (original poster) at 10:12 PM on Aug. 8, 2010

• i think its just more comfortable for people to think of those who have passed away or moved on as simply gone somewhere else. personally, neither term bothers me...although someone said to me that my granny was "dancing with Elvis" now and that kinda got me...although she probably is. LOL
    princezzmommie

Answer by princezzmommie at 12:47 AM on Aug. 9, 2010

• It's gentler, more polite, if you will. DH's brother passed away almost 12 years ago - and that's always how he says it, he has a tough time saying his brother died. It's easier for him to say his brother passed away.
    4time-mom

Answer by 4time-mom at 12:59 AM on Aug. 9, 2010

• It's making the reality of the death set in more. Plus passed away seems softier I guess. Saying I lost, a no no, My daughter died, I didn't loose her, if I did you'd be damn sure I'd go find her . I always saw died, unfortunately!!
    MyAngel003

Answer by MyAngel003 at 12:20 PM on Aug. 10, 2010