Antisocial behaviors

My nephew is showing anti-social behaviors and lives with his mother, alone (the dad passed on years back).

Now, the mother wants to home-school him. I feel I should not tell my opinion as it has not been solicited, but I feel this is not ideal for a child who is already antisocial. What to do?

(ps my nephew is almost 10)

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:08 PM on Aug. 8, 2010 in Relationships

• give her some credit for trying to do what is best for her son. she is closer to the situation than you are. my brother was a different kind of antisocial and my mother went through hell trying to make school be an okay place for him (he is super intelligent and never really learned how to socialize until he was an adult). my husband is a sweetheart in public but very few know the agony and anxiety he feels in social settings including work... he is much happier being with one or two people or on his own. school is a place where he is supposed to learn... if he is constantly feeling antagonized or getting in trouble because of getting mad, it's going to be a really bad place for him. hopefully she will also address the things that are bothering him alongside with trying to keep him in an emotionally safe place for now.
    figaro8895

Answer by figaro8895 at 11:42 PM on Aug. 8, 2010

• why is she considering doing this?? its hard, I havesocial phobia and depression - I had the hardest time in school and if I were the one getting picked on or anything, it would have been 1000 times worse, but I wasn't.. anyway, I would get physically sick due to the stress of schools and classes and I actualyl had to go to ALC because I had such a hard time.. it was terrible.
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 9:11 PM on Aug. 8, 2010

• Maybe it would be a wise idea, then. I am not the doctor, but if he's been diagnosed, the doctor would be the one to ask or counselor.
    txdaniella

Answer by txdaniella at 9:23 PM on Aug. 8, 2010

• What antisocial tendancies are you seeing?
    txdaniella

Answer by txdaniella at 9:09 PM on Aug. 8, 2010

• OP here, I don't know why she wants to homeschool. I think mostly he doesn't do well around kids, he can do ok with one if he can kind of boss them around a little but if there are more than 1 kid, he usually gets mad at something that is sasid, and has just made more enemies than friends.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 9:23 PM on Aug. 8, 2010

• You need to be honest with her and tell her that you don't think it is a good idea, and explain why. She might get upset with you, so be prepared.
    queen.bee

Answer by queen.bee at 9:29 PM on Aug. 8, 2010