Trampolines?

I have several kids on the autism spectrum. A trampoline is HIGHLY recommended to help them calm themselves and get the deep compression they crave. Unfortunately, last summer my autistic daughter severely broke her leg on a neighbor's trampoline (I was an idiot & let her jump with her older brother, who fell on her leg), and now my husband adamantly is opposed to us getting one. I understand that accidents can happen but I'm thinking the benefits outweigh the risks. If I set careful rules and be sure we have the safety nets, I'm thinking it would be a good thing for our family. What do you think?

mamahobbit

Asked by mamahobbit at 9:31 PM on Aug. 8, 2010 in General Parenting

• I have a 12 year old with autism and his dr and OT recommended a trampoline for him as well. We got an exercise trampoline for inside the house, and we got a huge trampoline with safety nets for outside. Yes, accidents can and do happen but as much as you hear about them, I think they're still fairly rare. I jumped on one throughout my childhood and me nor any of my friends ever got hurt. My kids have had theirs for over a year and they nor the neighborhood kids that come to play have gotten hurt. You can die from a car accident, but it doesn't stop me from driving every day. My husband broke his leg in a motorcycle accident, but he still gets on his bike everyday that it isn't raining.
    The trampoline has greatly increased my son's core body strength and helped keep him at a healthy weight - for us the benefits greatly outweigh the risks!

Answer by missanc at 8:43 AM on Aug. 9, 2010

• My son is autistic as well. We got him one of those workout trampolines so only one person can be on it at a time and it's close to the ground. He gets his sensory needs met and so fat there's been no injuries.
    Krystal.Ingalls

Answer by Krystal.Ingalls at 9:44 PM on Aug. 8, 2010

• The only way to know is to get one and try it out. If u have any problems sell it.
    mamaofficer

Answer by mamaofficer at 9:40 PM on Aug. 8, 2010

• I sell trampolines for a living (at our swingset store).

Accidents can and will happen during childhood. You (parents) cannot take all the risks out of their lives.

I think its true that the benefits (bonus- gross motor skills, coordination, dexterity, energy outlet, and FUN!) far outweigh the risks. Especially if you dilligently supervise and enforce your safety rules.

Good luck!
    Momluv269

Answer by Momluv269 at 9:47 PM on Aug. 8, 2010

• Personally, I wouldn't risk it especially since you've already had to deal with one major injury with your DD.
    MommaofH2

Answer by MommaofH2 at 9:59 PM on Aug. 8, 2010

• I say get it but be very careful...
    mekarevell

Answer by mekarevell at 1:19 AM on Aug. 9, 2010

• If she severely broke her leg already, why would u risk it again? I dont think the benefits outweigh the risks of her getting severely hurt imo
    Mom2Rylin

Answer by Mom2Rylin at 3:58 AM on Aug. 9, 2010

• Well ours says to only let one at a time on it. I think if you stick to that rule you would be ok. I like the idea of the exercise mini tramp for in the house, seems a safe bet.
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 10:03 AM on Aug. 9, 2010

• I've gone through two trampolines. My ADD son absolutely loved them, he was out there night and day, it was his thinking spot. You definitely need the safety net (even seen America's Funniest Videos?) and only one at a time. The first on I got was a jump king and it lasted for years, the second one wasn't and constantly needed repairing and new springs. Get a Jump King.
    onethentwins

Answer by onethentwins at 3:19 PM on Aug. 9, 2010