why, oh why, does my cat drink from the toilet?

He has access to fresh, clean water with his food bowl, he will paw water into his dry food but does not drink it!

We don't use chemicals in our toilet, but it's just ICK!

kerryket

Asked by kerryket at 10:03 PM on Aug. 8, 2010 in Pets

• Because you leave the lid open!

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 10:04 PM on Aug. 8, 2010

• it's cold water????
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 10:04 PM on Aug. 8, 2010

• My cat is a wateraholic. She will drink from any running water faucet. As soon as we go into the bathroom, she follows hoping someone will turn on the faucet.
    I WISH she would drink from the toilet....save me from turning on the faucet each time. LOL
    ARmom

Answer by ARmom at 10:05 PM on Aug. 8, 2010

• Well, do you wash his dish with soap and water every day? Or at least every couple days? That grows bacteria in there. And the toilet is cold. And as a dog, they just know where the cleaner, more fresh water is.
    2BlondeBabies

Answer by 2BlondeBabies at 10:06 PM on Aug. 8, 2010

• close the lid and shut the door! expecially if you have small children. this goes with out saying in my house, everyone knows to shut both after using the bathroom.

but cats are weird tho, i have cats and they always have fresh water all the time but they want to drink out of the puddles in the road or where ever else they can find stale water. lol gross.
    Preggydyke

Answer by Preggydyke at 10:07 PM on Aug. 8, 2010

• Aren't cats CrZay.... I have a cat that will lick the floor if I wash it with bleach. We have to lock the crazy thing in a room when I wash the kitchen and bathroom floors... what is up with that?
    WoodWitch

Answer by WoodWitch at 10:11 PM on Aug. 8, 2010

• My cats are very particular about their water. Will not drink out of plastic. (Maybe they've been watching the news about BPA?) Their bowl has to be either blass or ceramic or they will find other places to drink from... including the toilet.
    karamille

Answer by karamille at 10:15 PM on Aug. 8, 2010

• Hmm...

We do try to keep the door shut and the lid down, but one of the 5 of us will forget and in he slips!

My kids are older so if one of them starts playing in the toilet I'm calling the men in the white coats:)

Yeah, its clean and fresh every day, twice a day or more.

I will try a ceramic bowl, his bowl is pastic!

kerryket

Comment by kerryket (original poster) at 10:28 PM on Aug. 8, 2010

• I have two cats, so I bought one of those auto water dispensers for dogs so they always have water available. I don't think I have ever seen my crazy cats drink out of the toilet, which could be due to laziness. I know when their bowls is empty...they start chewing on my plants.... wackos...
    WoodWitch

Answer by WoodWitch at 10:35 PM on Aug. 8, 2010

• I have a couple who will drink from the toilet & some who will only drink from a glass. The bowls I use are stainless steel & only the dogs drink from them. I don't know why!
    zoolady12

Answer by zoolady12 at 10:45 PM on Aug. 8, 2010