Cannot Afford my children

I am writing because I am for a loss not because I want a hand out or looking for attention. I have been out of a relationship that lasted for 4.5 years, I was in a situation where my children or I did not want for anything. I then get a eye opener one day when he said he was done. We were not married, nor did we have children together, He was however all my 4 yr old ever knew. Since then, my finances have been dwindling to nothing. I have had 2 jobs since the break up, and lost them both. I went back to school to get loans to help until I found something stable, and with the loss of jobs the stress took over me and I failed witch now I am not eligible for anymore loans. I am now in a CRISIS...I have noooot a dime to my name and cannot pay ONE bill nor get gas money to look for a job. ON top of it all my children do not have any clothes for school. I think I am now at a point where I think I will have to give my kids up.....

megbugsmom

Asked by megbugsmom at 10:05 PM on Aug. 8, 2010 in General Parenting

• Sorry honey, no help.. but would like to kick Jolee in the head for you if that helps...?;/
    mtnmama111

Answer by mtnmama111 at 11:41 PM on Aug. 9, 2010

• People don't give their kids up. There is help for women with kids that don't have any money. If there isn't help where you live go to another city where there is. In Tucson there are free apartments for moms with kids and they help you find jobs and provide free child care. A friend of mine worked there. You live in a tent before you give your kids up. I have done that before.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 10:13 PM on Aug. 8, 2010

• Look to the goverment for help. Get help from any of the shelters and soup kitchens alot of those places get so much clothing that they can not take any more. Ask any agency you can for help. The catholic family charities and luthern family services. You do not want to give your kids up. And if 4 is your youngest, I hate to say it, but they are not babies and they would not find homes.
    Alanaplus3

Answer by Alanaplus3 at 10:10 PM on Aug. 8, 2010

• You should go to your local department of welfare offices and get some help. go tomorrow morning.
    buzymamaof3

Answer by buzymamaof3 at 10:10 PM on Aug. 8, 2010

• Yes, look into government help. Foodstamps, food banks, soup kitchens.... churches cna help as well. There are programs out there to help you and your shildren, I would hate to see you give up your children. Times get tough but hang in there and do all that you can.
    AshJoe05

Answer by AshJoe05 at 10:13 PM on Aug. 8, 2010

• im am terribly sorry to hear that. it doesnt help with the state of the economy either. but here are some things to think about.. have you gone to see about state aid? you could possibly be able to get food stamps and or other assistance. you can also call or go down to the local job center and they can help with resumes and looking for work. also im not sure if you get child support but if not you may want to look into that and also emergency housing. or if you have any family to ask for help or even just for a place to live while you get back on your feet a bit. the job center may or may not be able to give you vouchers for gas to get to job interviews as well (depending on state) those might be good places to start. you could also go to the church or the local food shelve they have many more resources you could look into. good luck and hope you the best.
    laura970

Answer by laura970 at 10:14 PM on Aug. 8, 2010

• Don't you give those children up they are whats going to keep you strong they need you and you need them theres plenty of help like ALANA said and when you get on your feet give those children just what is needed and more on holidays only don't give them too much and you'll regret it hope everything goes well keep in touch
    1LovelyAngel

Answer by 1LovelyAngel at 10:16 PM on Aug. 8, 2010

• Talk to the principal at your child's school. They might know where to get you started so you an atleast talk to someone.

I know you don't want to hand your daughter over to your ex, does he want her? Would it be a fight to get her back if it had to be done while you get yourself on your feet?
    Jessica157

Answer by Jessica157 at 10:31 PM on Aug. 8, 2010

• Have you gone to the local Salvation army? They help with back to school stuff..most communities have a family resource center. you can apply at every low income housing complex you need to and be sure to keep in touch because you never know when something will open up. There should be shelters somewhere you can go to. Is there a local crisis nursery you can drop the kids off at? in minnesota we have those and they will keep your kids up to 2 weeks for free depending on the situation. look in a yellow pages phone book under "community" and under "social" those 2 areas should bring you closer to some of the help you need.
    You can get through this and buy keeping your kids by your side you are showing them to never give up...get rid of them and you are showing them to give up when times get tough. stay strong!!
    wheresthewayout

Answer by wheresthewayout at 10:32 PM on Aug. 8, 2010

• Before I would give those kids up I'd stand on a street corner with them & panhandle. You can find places that will feed you & your landlord if you have one will have a hard time throwing you out for lack of payment. Have you tried the Salvation Army? They don't turn anyone away!
    zoolady12

Answer by zoolady12 at 10:35 PM on Aug. 8, 2010