For those who dislike lawyers...what made you feel this way?

I know there are people who aren't to fond of lawyers. I'm curious as whether the dislike is directed towards all lawyers or lawyers in a particular field of law.

lawmom27

Asked by lawmom27 at 10:06 PM on Aug. 8, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• I am married to a criminal defense attorney, he has been one for the last 30 some years, he is honest, caring and will go out of his way to help even if sometimes there is no money involved. The rate he uses for his fees is according to the complexity of the case and estimating the amount of time he will have to dedicate to it, many times putting it under the standard fee of other attorneys.
    Generalizing is always a bad thing, you can judge one bad apple for all.

Answer by older at 7:56 AM on Aug. 9, 2010

• I don't dislike attorneys, I'm just not in awe of them like so many of them feel people should be. I've worked with more than enough of them to know that many are absolute idiots, and I'm not even sure how they ever managed to pass the Bar. The profession has this aura about it, equating law school to med school. That's a mistake. Attorneys are no different than anyone else who schleps their way through grad school memorizing just enough to pass the tests and bs their way through papers.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 11:54 PM on Aug. 8, 2010

• When Progressives in Harvard took control of the law school, they started teaching a different kind of law. They trained the new generations of law students that PRECEDENT was more important than established law.
    This was because Progressives were against the Constitutional system of American law - it got in the way of them seizing power like Progressives in other countries had succeeded in doing. They had tried to beat the Constitution, failed at that because the lawyers and judges wouldn't let them get away with it. So they moved into the arena of teaching with the goal of changing how law is practiced.
    PRECEDENT law makes it possible for a lawyer to cite a decision in some other case and demand that the judge treat his client the same, rather than judging what is actually written in a law or the Constitution.

This has created wide variances from actual law ... and many lawyers who disdain right and wrong.
    waldorfmom

Answer by waldorfmom at 6:34 AM on Aug. 9, 2010

• Hmmm. I detest the fact that defense attorneys have created a system for themselves to get paid more by getting perps off that costs everyone else more. Lawyers came up with the idea of a cop forgets to sign a paper and let a perp walk on a trivial technicality. Cops aren't secretaries, and they don't have one (or an office full) doing the work for them. Lawyers do.

I truly don't like the fact that lawyers have turned our laws into such a mass of gobbledigook that no one can read it and understand it ~ and there are times I wonder if THEY can.

Once upon a time we had a legal system that meted out justice. Now we have a fairy tale that generates income for lawyers and screws the victims of most crimes, allows the IRS and other gov't. agencies to shaft everyone, and a bunch of overeducated jerks who in spite of their knowledge say that the COTUS doesn't matter (Congress). I'm sorry, I just don't like most of them.
    Farmlady09

Answer by Farmlady09 at 1:03 AM on Aug. 9, 2010

• I don't dislike lawyers. I am disgusted with a nation who has become dependent on lawyers and politicians instead of having some common sense. The burden of bureaucracy and excessive regulations placed on this nation via lawsuits and lawyers who are all to intertwined in the writing of US bills/amendments. Too many Americans just surrender to this growing trend. Mainly because of a growing decline in common sense in this country. If only more people were to take an inkling of responsibility and move away from government and bureaucratic dependency. Lawyers feed off of lacking common sense and growing dependency. A relationship that needs Real change. Jmo
    grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 1:42 AM on Aug. 9, 2010

• My grandpa passed last year. It's his estate. The letter was the seventeenth copy of the will that they gave me, a note saying it had been probated, a request for updated info (with the WRONG name on it). So Then i had to call because they made a mistake, and i get charged for a call!
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 10:21 PM on Aug. 8, 2010

• And for the record, I think that the practice of law is very interesting and that more ends up getting blamed on the attorneys when things don't work out than should. So many loop holes, so many technicalities, and many things that aren't in the control of the attorney. I imagine that you would really have to love it to do it well.

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 11:18 PM on Aug. 8, 2010

• Yeah, well, he was an heir as well. It was his father's estate and my brother and I were named in it. I believe that he was having money problems and ended up taking money from the account and almost losing the remaining property because he didn't pay property taxes for over 3 years. He knows what he did and while I realize it was his own father's estate, there was no excuse for his actions. He dragged it out for over 7 years (having many requests by the probate judge to get it wrapped up). Even if I excused his actions in his father's estate (my Grandfather), he embezzled money from the estate of one of his client's and was censured for it. It wasn't personal, he is just a sleaze. I agree with you there. I guess it's just my unfortunate honor to know two sleaze balls in the same profession. To be clear, I know there are some good ones out there.

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 11:23 PM on Aug. 8, 2010

• I have issue with Lawyers who rake in money from class action frauds and the likes of John Edwards.
    Carpy

Answer by Carpy at 11:25 PM on Aug. 8, 2010

• @Carpy: I completly get ya there. But, like I said in a reply, he was that way before he became an attorney.

I have a Bach in criminal justice. I appreciate how the law works and understand that everyone hates lawyers until they need one.
    Carpy

Answer by Carpy at 11:58 PM on Aug. 8, 2010