Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Howto correct my dd's name....

When I named my dd they added an axtra name giving her four names instead of three. She is now 12, how do I correct this? She litterately has some other person's name.

Answer Question

Asked by tryin2BGOOD at 10:14 PM on Aug. 8, 2010 in Relationships

Level 21 (10,552 Credits)
Answers (14)
  • You haven't corrected it by now? Then i dont know how to fix it...

    Answer by AshJoe05 at 10:15 PM on Aug. 8, 2010

  • Really, why did you let it go for 12 years? YIKES! I would have gone down to county records and the social security office and inquire what I needed to do THEN! Not wait 12 years!!!!

    Answer by SAHMinIL2 at 10:17 PM on Aug. 8, 2010

  • You might have to go to your county courthouse and talk to them about how to fix it. Why would you wait this long though? It might be harder now, and would have probably been easier to take care of it as soon as you noticed it.

    Answer by fallnangel93 at 10:18 PM on Aug. 8, 2010

  • why did you wait so long?

    Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 10:19 PM on Aug. 8, 2010

  • Hopefully they didn't give her the same SS as a woman. That has happened before.

    Answer by Misteh at 10:22 PM on Aug. 8, 2010

  • Not to worry, people change their names everyday. On Monday, just call the county courthouse and inquire into what needs to be done. It is just a matter of filing the proper forms, paying a fee and having the courts file the proper paperwork. You will then need to apply for a correction on the social security card. My sister kept changing her name back every time she got divorced. After the third time she just kept her name instead of taking his! ROFLMAO...

    Answer by WoodWitch at 10:24 PM on Aug. 8, 2010

  • You can probably petition the courts for a name change for her. You might be able to find a lawyer through your local bar association who will tell you what paper work to use and the procedure to do this pro se (on your own). At the very least you will have to pay court costs. After you change her name legally you can get certified copies of the paperwork for social securty and the school. At least she isn't old enough to have to change her name very many places.

    Answer by Keksie at 10:28 PM on Aug. 8, 2010

  • I agree with Woodwitch.

    Answer by LovingSAHMommy at 10:30 PM on Aug. 8, 2010

  • I have been tryint ot figure it out for 12 years, inbetween buying a house.

    Comment by tryin2BGOOD (original poster) at 11:05 PM on Aug. 8, 2010

  • You should have contacted Vital Statistics office in your state as soon as you found it and you could have done it for free. Now you may have to go to court and get it changed. Just call your state vital statistics office and ask what the procedure is.

    Answer by Anonymous at 11:21 PM on Aug. 8, 2010

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.