What are some Welcoming home ideas for husband who is coming home from Deployment.

My husband is returning from a year long deployment. In that time frame I moved my daughter and I back to my hometown to be closer to family. I am needing some ideas to help him feel like home is home. He came home on leave and stated that things felt so different so I am wanting some ideas to help him transition easier.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:54 PM on Oct. 5, 2008 in Relationships

• My husband's last deployment was 18 months long and when he left I was 6 weeks prego. He came home to a new baby, a new house and a neighborhood (we moved off base while he was deployed)..There is really nothing that will make him feel COMPLETELY at home but there ARE some things that you can do to make it easier. You could cook his favorite meal for dinner that night or go to his favorite restaraunt. You could have his favorite beverage stocked in the fridge. You COULD invite his family over but it could be a bit overwhelming for him with a lot of people over. I say just stay home and spend the whole day just relaxing at home as a family and letting him get used to the new environment. The first few hours at home are VERY special.

AvasMommy810

Answer by AvasMommy810 at 11:02 PM on Oct. 5, 2008

• A get 2gether w/ both of ur parents, maybe out 2 dinner w/ ur daughter & then a movie w/ just the 2 of u. Maybe a "road trip" where u just drive w/ no particular place 2 go & talk. Do u have a wedding song... make a cd w/ it & songs that u both like, it will help u feel more connected. Or u could have ur pics taken, ur daughter, hubby & u bc that would b something he can physically c when he goes back & will let him know that he has a loving family @ home!!!!! Lastly, let ur husband know that I truly appreciate what he does 4 our country. HAVE A LOVING REUNION!!!!
    LovingParent08

Answer by LovingParent08 at 11:07 PM on Oct. 5, 2008

• He actually MET our daughter for the first time when she was 10 months old (almost a year old!). Just think of how shocked and saddened he must've been. My husband just held her for the first week. He even slept with her in our bed for a day or two and he refused to let me change or feed her.

AvasMommy810

Answer by AvasMommy810 at 11:14 PM on Oct. 5, 2008

• when i came home they had a big bbq and just everyone together was great for me ... evenbetter seeing my son
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:10 AM on Oct. 6, 2008

• I asked my husband if he wanted a party so he could see everyone at once and that way he could get it over with. He said no he would see people when he wanted to see them. I thought it would be a good idea but I also know that he just wants to come home and relax.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:17 AM on Oct. 6, 2008