Bed and nap time...

Okay, I just moved and also changed my daughters bed to a toddler bed and for her to go to sleep I have to sit in her room with her. I've only been doing it for a couple weeks and I want to know what I should do to get her to lay down by herself and go to sleep without me having to sit with her.

ajc-08

Asked by ajc-08 at 10:50 PM on Aug. 8, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Just be consistent. We just recently changed my DD bed into a toddler bed, and it took a few nights of chasing her back into her room, but she has been sleeping so much better since we made the switch. It took 45 mins of bringing her back to her room, laying her down with her pillow (security item), and telling her it's time for night-night, and closing the door to where it's just cracked. I play a Disney Princess lullaby CD for her that seems to help calm her down. I'm also trying to calm her down by massaging her legs and feet every night. I read somewhere that its hard to expect an adult to just go to bed when they're so wound up, so it's hard to expect a toddler to do the same thing. But as long as you're consistent - and you have a LOT of patience! ;) - you'll be able to get your daughter in a good night time routine without you sitting on her bed.
    redmoonintexas

Answer by redmoonintexas at 12:15 AM on Aug. 9, 2010

• We play a CD for my DD. We will sit with her for the first two songs. She KNOWS that at the 3rd song (Aladdin- A Whole New World) we leave. She has become used to it. As long as we stay for a few minutes, she's content and falls asleep on her own after we leave.

KairisMama

Answer by KairisMama at 10:56 PM on Aug. 8, 2010

• Well at that age i think its ok to sit with your dd....my son is 3 and i still sit with him until he fells asleep..i just get a book or magazine and read by book light on the floor next to his bed while my ds fells asleep which usually only takes about 15mins..
    TezMoM

Answer by TezMoM at 10:58 PM on Aug. 8, 2010

• Well my mother told me that in order to get me over my NEED to have her there (I was very afraid of monsters lol), she would inch closer to the door every night, and when she was out the door she would still tell me she was there less and less until I was completely comfortable with not having her right there or even right out the door anymore.
    Deathlilly

Answer by Deathlilly at 11:07 PM on Aug. 8, 2010

• i started explaining to my daughter that she would go to sleep and id be right there when she would wake up. at first she fought me . but now i just tell her go sleep n mommy will be here when u wake ok. she says ok and rolls over. she's also become very fond of her pillow and her blanki. but i have to add she's still in her crib.
    mommy2b0805

Answer by mommy2b0805 at 11:38 PM on Aug. 8, 2010