How much do you spend on school supplies?

My son is going to K4 in a week and a half and I am going to be going shopping for his school supplies. I just ordered his books and they were freaking $150, so I am trying to figure out how much more I am going to have to spend. They dont need any large things, just basics like a pencil box, crayons, glue sticks, erasers, boxes of tissue, magnetic ABC's, and a backpack. Also, where is the best place to buy school supplies?

Cass052005

Asked by Cass052005 at 10:57 PM on Aug. 8, 2010 in

• I paid $38 this year for just school supplies, pencils, paper, and such. Not including his backpack, lunch box, clothes, shoes.

I like Target for school supplies. They should be having all kinds of great deals right now.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 11:00 PM on Aug. 8, 2010

• you had to buy books for K4?? wow..
    we bought everything at target (K), and including the backpack, it came to about $30. i think walmart was cheaper on the basics like crayons/glue sticks.
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 11:00 PM on Aug. 8, 2010

• My kids go to a public school that actually supplies them with a laptop during school so actual school supplies are a minimum in our house. My son also attend a specialty math and science school and I will have to provide him with 3 binders with dividers and paper. I will probably go to Staples for that. Avery products do have Box Tops and that is always a plus. I think he will also need a satchel. But my daughter will get by with a couple of folders, possibly a pad of paper and some pens and pencils. We don't have to purchase any textbooks, thank god, and their USB flash drives are still good from last year.
    marchar2002

Answer by marchar2002 at 11:05 PM on Aug. 8, 2010

• My son will be starting pre-school this school year...so me and his dad is really excited!!! And so is he...his uniforms will cost us about $75-$100 for a weeks worth (most b purchased through the school)...i think the school supplies will surely b cheaper....my sister have kids in all grades and she shops at staples or walmart....but here's an idea that my sister does...she gets the supply list for the grade their passing to from the school at the end of the school year for the next year...so that she can buy the supplies in advance...happy shopping!! but i think u got the most expensive part over :)
    TezMoM

Answer by TezMoM at 11:10 PM on Aug. 8, 2010

• My son's public school provides him with everything he needs. Sometimes the teachers will ask for certain supplies for their classrooms, but they are not mandatory or expected.
    mom2aspclboy

Answer by mom2aspclboy at 11:25 PM on Aug. 8, 2010

• I think we spent about $40, not including clothes, but that's for both kids. Neither one needed a new back pack this year, or it would be closer to $80.
    Pnukey

Answer by Pnukey at 11:26 PM on Aug. 8, 2010

• 4 children about $100.0
    momx3gx1b

Answer by momx3gx1b at 11:40 PM on Aug. 8, 2010

• My kids are in public school. I had a few things left over that never got used last year. For all 3 of them it was $50. THat doesn't inclue backpacks, luncbags, etc....
    KamiB79

Answer by KamiB79 at 12:07 AM on Aug. 9, 2010

• I bought backpacks at Toys'R'Us - $15 each plus a lunch bag for free. Old Navy has the same deal going on right now, but I think $10 for the backpack plus a free lunch bag. I bought all the other supplies (crayons, pencil boxes, markers, etc) at Wal-Mart - I bought for 4 kids plus stocked up on things like crayons & glue, and spent around $50 total - regular price for what I bought would have been over $300 and I've got probably 2 years worth of stuff and then some.
    4time-mom

Answer by 4time-mom at 12:43 AM on Aug. 9, 2010

• Family dollar. Seriously they have everything except the paint arpons and you can get those at Walmart of Toyys R Us.
    Ibelongtojesus

Answer by Ibelongtojesus at 7:19 AM on Aug. 9, 2010

Next question in
back to school

Next question overall (Relationships)
The NERVE of some people!!! (vent)