I just caught my daughter making one of her bigger toys touch her 'gina. I'm not sure how to handle this....

So I walked in my DD room and she was making her big stuffed monkey's hand touch her 'gina (what we call vaginas). She got really embarrassed and started crying when I walked in and asked her what she was doing. Shes 3. No she hasn't been touched by anyone. I know that for a fact. I don't think she has heard or seen anything with my hubby and I because she's never walked in on us and we wait until shes asleep before we do anything so I don't think she's heard anything. Is this normal? What do I do?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:28 PM on Aug. 8, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• It's perfectly normal for her to experiment. She has learned by now that it feels good, and now she is most likely seeing how other things (besides her hand) feel as well... I would simply explain to her that these are things which need to be done in private but that they are normal... That's how we tell our kids... We also make a point to explain that no one else gets to touch them there...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 11:32 PM on Aug. 8, 2010

• Yes it's normal. It feels good touching it. Girls learn it at a young age. Don't make a big deal about it. It's sad that she cried thinking you caught her doing something bad. Let her know it's not bad. It's very normal.

Answer by admckenzie at 11:29 PM on Aug. 8, 2010

• Sounds normal to me!
    momx3gx1b

Answer by momx3gx1b at 11:34 PM on Aug. 8, 2010

• I would first and for most ask her how SHe felt. Why did you waking in on her make her cry and I she thinks it's bad why? Once you understand why she thinks this way them you can approach her. It's not bad for her to learn her body but I can imagine how you felt walking in on her that would be very weird for me too. Just let her know that you both have the same body parts and if she has any questions that she can ask you and you two can deal with it together. Poor lil one cried, that's so cute.
    ProudMammaMia

Answer by ProudMammaMia at 11:35 PM on Aug. 8, 2010

• she's just curious. Kids get curious about their parts sooner or later
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 11:35 PM on Aug. 8, 2010

• completely normal
    alexis_06

Answer by alexis_06 at 11:35 PM on Aug. 8, 2010

• explain to her that you're not mad at her, and that you understand why she was doing it, but then explain to her that little girls shouldn't do it, it's more a "mommy" thing, or, a "grown up" thing.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:36 PM on Aug. 8, 2010

• Sounds like the toy probably somehow brushed against her in that area and she noticed and was just curious. That's all
    Butterfly1108

Answer by Butterfly1108 at 11:37 PM on Aug. 8, 2010

• I told her that she wasn't in trouble. I delt with this before with her touching herself. I told her that it is something she does in her room. I also told her not to let anyone else touch her there and to tell me if anyone does. I am just not sure how to let her know she's not introuble for it.
    MizAnn

Answer by MizAnn at 11:38 PM on Aug. 8, 2010

• If it is something that she does once in a while, and in the privacy of her own room, then there is absolutely no problem with it. All children, boys and girls "discover" themselves at an early age. However, if she continues to do so in a habitual manner, OR in front of people, then you need to sit down with her and try to stop it. I had a student that was in Kindergarten, and he was a habitual masturbator (sorry to sound vulgor, but that's what the school nurse called it), and he ended up having emotional problems as well, and masturbating made him feel all better about himself and his life. He would do it like 5 times a day and would start IN the classroom, and I would have to MAKE him excuse himself to the restroom. THAT was a problem, but a toddler touching once in a while, is NOT a problem at all.
    Hartbrayka

Answer by Hartbrayka at 11:46 PM on Aug. 8, 2010