I'm wondering when kids should be able to know some of their ABC's or counting. I have a 21 month old and she doesn't seem interested in that stuff yet.. How do I get her interested in learning?

Asked by Anonymous at 7:48 PM on Jun. 29, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Don't push it.
    About half of all kids can recognize a few letters by 30 months. That means that half of all kids CAN'T recognize any letters at that age.
    If you wan't to help speed things along:
    - Get the LeapFrog Fridge Phonics toy and let him play with it when he wants
    - Get some alphabet stamps and washable ink (Melissa & Doug has a nice set) and stamp his hand with a different letter each day.
    - Point out that letter during occasionally during the day. (Again, don't push)
    - Get an alphabet video for him to watch - the LeapFrog Letter Factory is cute.

And always remember, kids who can read by age 4 and kids who don't learn to read until 5 or 6 do equally well in school. The two groups can't be told apart by 4th grade.

Answer by kaycee14 at 11:08 PM on Jun. 29, 2008

• Don't push it. Make it fun! My kids started learning the song around 3 and recognized only about 5 letters around that time. My 4 year old son knows about half of the letter now and can sing the whole song. My 5 year old knows all the letters and the sounds they make and can write some of them.

Try writing with sidewalk chalk outdoors to stike up some interest!

Answer by ReneeK3 at 7:50 PM on Jun. 29, 2008

• my mom used to be a big advocate of learning through osmosis. just sing to her. like on sesame street. abcd you know or 1234 56 78 9 10 start real slow like before you realized you were learning. colors, shapes with her eyes shut. make games for her, it's fun!

Answer by sherry729 at 7:55 PM on Jun. 29, 2008

• at what age should a child knows their ABC?
    At about 2 some children can recite their ABC's, but it is not until 3-5 that they start ... There is no specific age that a child should know their ABC's. ... -

Answer by vbruno at 8:23 PM on Jun. 29, 2008

• turn on sesame street!!

• Just let her go at her own pace. Some kids around that age want to know all the animal noises but couldn't care less about the ABCs. My son is the opposite, he doesn't give a hoot about colors and shapes but he wants to know every single number and letter

Answer by MamaPyratekk at 8:52 PM on Jun. 29, 2008

• Don't rush your child to learn or you'll introduce the learning process to her/him wrong.

Encourage creative play with her/him through song.

Answer by mom2mybabes at 9:27 PM on Jun. 29, 2008

• my child started counting around 18 months. but she learned her ABC's through her leap pad laptop. (around 3 yrs) She will learn when she is ready, and won't feel pressured.

Answer by mommy-in-pink at 10:49 PM on Jun. 29, 2008

• Make learning fun for her not something you just push on her. Leap Frog products are great for learning while having fun. I bought my dd the ABC's 123 refrigerater magnets that are electronic. She learned her how to recite them, letter, and number recognition while having fun.

Answer by LolosMom at 11:53 PM on Jun. 29, 2008

• my 6 month old could say them in english and spanish and yes iam serious my 2nd child didn't say them till she was 1 and half my third not tell she was 3 each our different my 3 couldn't say it in spainsh until she was like 12 but she could say it in english but it depends just like potty training my 6 month old was potty trained at that age then she got sick and wanted to use a diaper but so then she stoped being fully potty trained and then was fully again at 1 my other child 2 and my other child 2 and half

Answer by Patience1 at 11:57 PM on Jun. 29, 2008