What safety contraptions do I need when preparing for a daughter?

I'm giving birth to my first child in about 6 weeks. I know that children are curious individuals and I was wondering what safety contraptions should I use when she gets to the age of scooting and crawling or just getting in to things?

limegreen1223

Asked by limegreen1223 at 12:03 AM on Aug. 9, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Something I could not go with out is the plastic outlet covers! Both of my daughters for some reason loved trying to touch them.
    MizAnn

Answer by MizAnn at 12:09 AM on Aug. 9, 2010

• I don't have any safety features for my child. I'll probably get the outlet covers at some point, but I'm more a believer in teaching him as we go than to put locks on things. Obviously I put dangerous stuff out of his reach.
    Adelicious

Answer by Adelicious at 12:23 AM on Aug. 9, 2010

• We have the cupboard door and drawer stoppers. Don't want baby under any sinks.

If you do a gift registry with babies r us it will auto-load a bunch of safety items. That's a good list to give you ideas.
    ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 12:38 AM on Aug. 9, 2010

• We have done very little baby proofing. You teach your child what they can't and can not do. I do use the outlet covers, but other than that I haven't baby proofed. I have taught my kids they can't get under the sinks. Other than that they pretty much know what they can and can't do.

Do you know that America is one of the only countries that uses baby proofing items? Think about that.
    kerijeanbean

Answer by kerijeanbean at 12:59 AM on Aug. 9, 2010

• What about when it comes to germs? I know what I'd do for myself but I wouldn't want to use that for my child. Is there anything other than wipes that are quick and easy?
    limegreen1223

Comment by limegreen1223 (original poster) at 1:19 AM on Aug. 9, 2010

• Please please do not use purell on your child unless they are older and still not a lot. If you clean your house your kids will be fine. If you are a germ-a-phobe in public they have the shopping cart covers you can buy that you can wash, but lately they have wipes by the shopping carts you can wipe and makes it safe for the kids.
    SwtSnowflake2

Answer by SwtSnowflake2 at 9:18 AM on Aug. 9, 2010

• Oh no....no purell! Definitely not so great for children putting their hands in their mouth all the time.
    limegreen1223

Comment by limegreen1223 (original poster) at 12:08 PM on Aug. 9, 2010

• Thanks to everyone...ya'll are a big help!
    limegreen1223