What should I expect from my first prenatal visit?

I still do not know how far along I am. Will they check this during my first visit? I'm expecting to give blood and urine. But I don't really know what else to expect. Papsmere? Ultra Sound? I need to know, So I know if my boyfriend should come with me or not. I think it would be a little uncomfortable for him to go with me for a papsmere, then again my roommate went with me for my first one, and sat there holding my hand, ha. If anyone could give me some information, or a link to information, I'd appreciate it. thanks! ((:

dre.mommy.to.be

Asked by dre.mommy.to.be at 12:28 AM on Aug. 9, 2010 in Pregnancy

• it's like a normal gyno visit. they do a pap smear, feel your uterus, and if you're far enough along listen to the heartbeat
    aliishott2

Answer by aliishott2 at 12:30 AM on Aug. 9, 2010

• I've only been to the OBGYN twice. This was before I was pregnant, once when I was fourteen, and once to get put on birth control (which failed) I should be between 8-13 weeks.
    dre.mommy.to.be

Comment by dre.mommy.to.be (original poster) at 12:32 AM on Aug. 9, 2010

• it depends on the dr. and your insurance i think. like my insurance only covers one US so Ill get one at 20wks. during mine i gave urine, got a papsmere, the dr also mesured my uturus by examining me and pressing on my belly area, my dr was also able to find the heartbeat...i also gave blood. if your SO is uncomfortable for the papsmere, he can wait outside the room and be invited back in for the rest of the visit.
    Shani527

Answer by Shani527 at 12:33 AM on Aug. 9, 2010

• I had bloodwork urine pap and a pee test to assure I was pregnant
    oppsdiditagain

Answer by oppsdiditagain at 12:34 AM on Aug. 9, 2010

• they'll listen for the heartbeat then. they will do blood work as well to check your iron and test for sti's std's and CF
    aliishott2

Answer by aliishott2 at 12:35 AM on Aug. 9, 2010

• first visit -
    pee in a cup
    weight & blood pressure check
    blood draw
    pap smear
    feel your tummy
    possibly doppler to hear a heartbeat.

since you don't know how far along you are, if they have an ultrasound there, you may get one to determine due date, if they don't have they will probably schedule you an ultrasound.
    DarkFaery131

Answer by DarkFaery131 at 12:35 AM on Aug. 9, 2010

• pending on how far along you are and what your OB likes to do in the first visit you might get an ultrasound. But if you are under 13 weeks pregnant, it will usually be a trans-vaginal ultrasound. Not a regular tummy ultrasound. b/c the baby is still so small. My OB schedules the "first" visit at 8-9 weeks pregnant. So that you're far enough along for a trans-vaginal ultrasound and to hear the heartbeat. But some OB's wait longer. You will get a papsmear, she/he will check ur cervix and feel your uterus. Some doctors will do a breast exam too. ( i had it w/ my first borns first visit but not this go around.). And you will do a urine test and probably blood work. vitals, weight, etc
    LovesHerKiddos

Answer by LovesHerKiddos at 12:36 AM on Aug. 9, 2010

• I figured as much, just had to be sure.
    dre.mommy.to.be

Comment by dre.mommy.to.be (original poster) at 12:37 AM on Aug. 9, 2010

• It depends on where you go. The first visit with my midwife was mostly social except for a finger stick to check hemoglobin, a basic urine screen, weight check, and blood pressure check.
    Erin814

Answer by Erin814 at 12:49 AM on Aug. 9, 2010

• if you've had a visit in the last year they don't always do the pap smear. If you haven't been her patient before, she will get your whole history and advise you what of your current meds you can take or subs for them plus a bunch of brochures to take home.
    jamesonjustines

Answer by jamesonjustines at 12:51 AM on Aug. 9, 2010