Toddler sleeping alone.

I've always been firm about my Son sleeping in his crib and not w/ us. He switched to a toddler bed well too. But maybe a month after the switch to a real bed, he developed fifiths disease and stayed very sick for 4 weeks. 104 temp, full body rash, etc it was pittiful. He had a strong need to be w/ me and I also needed to keep check on his temp so I let him come in our bed when he'd wake in the middle of the night wanting me during this time. Then right as he got well, my Mom died. I became rather dependant of my Son's comfort and continued the new habit of sleeping w/ me. It's been 4 more months and he's hooked on sleeping w/ me. How can I get him to stay in his bed again? I've tried music, books, sitting w/ him, singing, he just screams for our bed.

LovesHerKiddos

Asked by LovesHerKiddos at 12:48 AM on Aug. 9, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• You can make a big deal of it being Big Boy time and he gets to sleep in his own bed now. Will it work? Probably not at first. Will he cry? Oh, yeah!

When it is bedtime, go through the normal routine: pajamas, teeth, finding Teddy/Blankie and reading a story. Then kiss him goodnight, check the nightlight, leave the door cracked open and go about your business. If he wakes up in the night to crawl in your bed, just calmly get up, take him back to his room, tuck him in and go back to your bed. DON'T SAY ANYTHING! Just tuck him in, kiss him on his forehead and go back to bed. Do this as many times as it takes until he figures it out. Honestly, it will work. It just takes time. Good luck.
    Gypsy98

Answer by Gypsy98 at 12:54 AM on Aug. 9, 2010

• First off I'm sorry for your loss.
    Maybe have him sleep in his bed while you sleep on the floor net to him till he falls asleep. Do that for a while then then try doing it every other day then eventually let him sleep by himself. I hope it works out for you and I'm glad you DS got better.
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 12:54 AM on Aug. 9, 2010

• I think it is fine for a toddler to sleep alone. Put the toddler bed in the room with you,that is what my sister did with my neice whem she was sick
    memphisangel37

Answer by memphisangel37 at 12:54 AM on Aug. 9, 2010

• Just keep trying..sooner or later he'll just get back into the habit. U might just have to let him cry it out a few times. For a while my son was sleeping with me because we were traveling and moving. Now he REFUSES to sleep on his own. I just make him a bed and make him sleep there. It takes alot of frustrattion and crying but there isnt much else u can do but be persistant
    SweetPoison

Answer by SweetPoison at 1:02 AM on Aug. 9, 2010

• I agree with the first response to this. It's going to be hard but you have to be firm in your stance and consistent. I have to force myself to be this way too and tell myself "I am the adult. I make the decisions." He will get used to it again. He knows that screaming works because you've crumbled and let him back to your bed. Best of luck to you! :)
    AzAngie

Answer by AzAngie at 1:16 AM on Aug. 9, 2010

• Time and a lot of patience =/ You gotta stick with it Momma!
    Glamourina

Answer by Glamourina at 1:34 AM on Aug. 9, 2010

• Maybe he still needs the comfort. I suggest getting a toddler bed that can go right next to yours (maybe put your mattress on the floor or build up the toddler bed if it is too low) and have him still sleeping technically next to you. Then inch it away from the bed, and away, and away very slowly. This doesn't have to be a tearful process.
    Bellarose0212

Answer by Bellarose0212 at 2:49 AM on Aug. 9, 2010

• My son went through a bout of that when he was around a year old. I had a lot of nights laying on his floor in his room while he was in his crib waiting for him to go to sleep. After a while, I wouldn't wait anymore for him to fall asleep. I would wait till he was ALMOST asleep before I would leave. Then, I would leave sooner and eventually right after I put him down. There were a couple times when he would cry and I would end up right back on the floor...but it worked eventually. But I NEVER took him out of his crib.

BUT it sounds like you're going through a very hard time. There are worse things than having your loved one next to you at night. Maybe Bellarose is right - if you both still need the comfort and love then go for it. As long as your baby is safe and you're both getting quality sleep. :)
    crystalbean2

Answer by crystalbean2 at 9:06 AM on Aug. 9, 2010