How do you interpet the following quote?

Think not that I am come to destroy the law, or the prophets: I am not come to destroy, but to fulfil. (Matthew 5:17)

Do you think Jesus followed the Jewish laws or not?

SophiaofLight

Asked by SophiaofLight at 1:07 AM on Aug. 9, 2010 in Religious Debate

• I use this quote all the time to try and explain to Christians WHY they should STILL be following the OT laws. Jesus  was Jewish and followed the Jewish laws. What he had a problem with was the way the Pharisees were INTERPRETING the laws- which was the wrong way, but he, himself and his disciples followed the word of God and the laws.

The verse after the one in the OP is I tell you the truth, until heaven and earth disappear, not the smallest letter, not the least stroke of a pen, will by any means disappear from the Law until everything is accomplished.

As far as I can see, the earth is still here and therefore, the Law should STILL be followed. This this speaks of when Jesus is supposed to RETURN. The law will not need to be followed because then all will have been accomplished.

IhartU

Answer by IhartU at 6:57 AM on Aug. 9, 2010

• He followed the law yes.....
    He never broke the Jewish laws.
    Shaneagle777

Answer by Shaneagle777 at 1:56 AM on Aug. 9, 2010

• My interpretation of that specific quote would be "Do not assume that I am attempting to prove anyone wrong, I am attempting to prove them correct".
    truthteller0722

Answer by truthteller0722 at 1:11 AM on Aug. 9, 2010

• No I don't think so at all.
    hot-mama86

Answer by hot-mama86 at 1:10 AM on Aug. 9, 2010

• It speaks for itself. I do believe Jesus was born a Jew. Whether he followed Jewish law I don't know.
    zoolady12

Answer by zoolady12 at 1:14 AM on Aug. 9, 2010

• It means what it says. He did not come to change the OT laws but to improve on them. But they didn't like that too much even though he never changed them. I think he followed them but there were certain ones about the Lords day that he did not follow. Like when he healed on the Lords day. I just read this today but my mind has gone blank.
    crazymom21

Answer by crazymom21 at 1:18 AM on Aug. 9, 2010

• Jesus not only fulfilled the OT law..but brought a higher law..the law of love.
    Heathercurlz

Answer by Heathercurlz at 1:23 AM on Aug. 9, 2010

• Jesus die a Jew at a time when Jews followed the alws of the Torah, so yes, he probably followed Jewish Law. It's thought that the last supper was a Passover seder, so at least he did that...

Sharon
    momto2boys973

Answer by momto2boys973 at 3:01 PM on Aug. 11, 2010

• Where exactly and specifically does he break the Jewish laws?
    SophiaofLight

Comment by SophiaofLight (original poster) at 1:39 AM on Aug. 9, 2010

• Jesus came to simplify the law. We were making it all complicated and confusing and hard on each other. He also came to live out the promise.

Matthew 22:35-40
    Then one of them, which was a lawyer, asked him a question, tempting him, and saying, Master, which is the great commandment in the law? Yahushua said unto him, Thou shalt love Yahweh thy Elohim with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy mind. This is the first and great commandment. And the second is like unto it, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself. On these two commandments hang all the law and the prophets.

Another thing that goes along with this that is good to remember is that faith without works is dead. Works without faith is unproductive. Faith is the tree, works are the fruit. And we shall know the tree by it's fruit.
    NikkiMomof2grls

Answer by NikkiMomof2grls at 10:46 AM on Aug. 9, 2010