Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

My son 17 has bi polar . When he gets angery at me he enjoys bashing me to his girlfriends mom. She has called cps in the past -the case was dropped. At the moment my son and myself are going though some stuff . To night he comes home with cell phone that she gave him in case -OF ME- How can I keep them away from him? adult content

What do I do?

Answer Question

Asked by texasmom6183 at 1:18 AM on Aug. 9, 2010 in Teens (13-17)

Level 2 (5 Credits)
Answers (7)
  • am not sure does your son not take meds for that, and the harder u try to keep them apart the more they will find away to get to him

    Answer by regian19832002 at 1:21 AM on Aug. 9, 2010

  • Does your son have a psychiatrist & is he on meds for his Bi-Polar problem? If not he should be. It sounds like he is not taking his meds. It is very important that he take his meds as prescribed by his Dr. This will control his angry outbursts & he will be more like normal.As for keeping him away from the girlfriend & her mother,as he is still a minor you will have to insist he stay away .You might try talking to the mother. If that doesn't work the next step is the law. You can force her to stay away from him. The mother I mean,you can't do much about the girlfriend. He will see her no matter what you say or do.

    Answer by zoolady12 at 1:30 AM on Aug. 9, 2010

  • Have you spoken to the other mother? That's what i would do. Not in any kind of an accusing way, because she probably doesn't realize where you are coming from. But it sounds like an adult conversation is needed.

    Answer by outstandingLove at 1:49 AM on Aug. 9, 2010

  • I agree, make sure he's on his meds. and talk w/the other Mother. Being only 17 you have the upper hand, you can call the authorities, and shd not have to wory abt them clling them. I'd see if clling her helps, if she's on th DD side go from there. Why wld she wnt to put up with all this commotion herself anyway? Good luck I'm sure this is adding to the heart ache of having a bi-polar child as it is.

    Answer by MyAngel003 at 10:46 AM on Aug. 9, 2010

  • I would call the other mother and ask to talk to her, maybe over coffee or something in a neutral place. Explain to her about your son's bipolar and what that means in your home and the necessity for how things are handled. I have bipolar and I know it takes a toll on my husband and my children, even with the meds you can still have episodes with a trigger just not quite as bad. Then I would talk to my son and ask that he come to me when he is upset to see what can be compromised.
    Thirdly if he isn't I'd suggest counseling because I know meds alone are not enough. If he's not on medication you may want to consider it, depending on the type of Bipolar he has.
    Good luck I can only imagine how frustrating it must be.

    Answer by blessedwboysx3 at 2:17 PM on Aug. 9, 2010

  • What lie would he say to make them call CPS?

    Answer by CokietheClown at 5:17 PM on Aug. 9, 2010

  • People with Bipolar sometimes lie, for no reason. Make sure he takes his medication everyday...WATCH him take it and swallow it and check. Get him to a counselor too. Family counseling is a great idea. I would also talk to the mother and inform her of his problems and that if she has questions about how he is being treated at home, she needs to call you. I would return the phone to her and tell her no thanks, you can take care of your own child. DO NOT have your son return it, do it yourself. That was inappropriate of her.

    CokietheClown: It does NOT matter what the child said to the gf's mom and really NOT our business.

    Answer by tyfry7496 at 6:26 PM on Aug. 9, 2010

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.