how do you battle depression?

My grandma recently died. My husband is more interested in porn than he is in me and any attempt to discuss this ends with him telling me he is going to do what he is going to do. My daughter has an undiagnosed diesease which i really thought we were going to diagnose this year, and then didn't. i can't lose any weight. we are broke all the time. things just keep getting worse. How do i fight this? don't say antidepressants. they make you gain weight and i'm precariously close to my breaking point there. i just need some advice. no bashing.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:59 AM on Aug. 9, 2010 in Health

• Well medication would really help,it helps me a lot. But the alternative would be to find a good counselor or therapist. And if you don't like the first one, look for another. It's really important that you feel a connection and trust with a therapist. It sounds like you have a lot going on in your life that you really need to talk with someone about. I really think it will help you feel better. Good luck to you and hugs.
    SophiaofLight

Answer by SophiaofLight at 2:02 AM on Aug. 9, 2010

• What are the symptoms of your daughters "disease"?
    truthteller0722

Answer by truthteller0722 at 2:06 AM on Aug. 9, 2010

• You really need to seek a mental health professional so you can discuss your problems and they can treat this before it gets worse. I am sorry for what you are going through. Not all mental health professionals prescribe medications. If you see a psychologist they do not. If you don't want to talk to a doctor, maybe you can talk to your clergy if you go to church. The only advice I can give you is to find a way to make yourself well or you are going to have a more difficult time dealing with all that is on your plate. I have been battling depression for 13 years.
    Izsarejman

Answer by Izsarejman at 2:06 AM on Aug. 9, 2010

• Prayer always helps me...surround yourself with possitive ppl....but there are meds that help with depressed talk to you doc about it... sorry u having a rough time sweetie...here's a HUG for you...hope you feel better soon
    TezMoM

Answer by TezMoM at 2:09 AM on Aug. 9, 2010

• Keep your head up babe! I went through the same thing. My grandmother passed away and I took a turn on me for the worst.. I shortly after had my daughter and money became tight and yes I too as a new mommy had some weight to lose. I did not want to take the antidepressants either because of the weight issues I had but also because I did not want to be medicated for a problem that I could most likely solve no my own, or so i thought! My depression got really got! It also caused me to have anxiety and then I got to the point where I felt the slightest pain and I ran to the ER. So finally my mother and my husband MADE me go to the family Dr. to talk to him. He wants to give me meds and I turned them down but he said the only way to get over this hump is to level the certonin in my brain which has to be done by meds. He said give them a chance. So I did. I stayed on them for 6 months it was called (celexa) CONTINUED
    NicholeWalls

Answer by NicholeWalls at 2:14 AM on Aug. 9, 2010

• Exercise will release natural endorphines into your system. There are nothing but POSITIVE results unless you over do it, then you'll just be sore. Diets will NEVER work without exercise--that is the KEY to losing weight, and feeling good about yourself. Start drinking WATER, too. to flush out toxins and fat. As far as being BROKE, keep this in mind BROKE is a TEMPORARY situation. POOR is permanent. be glad to be only broke. Your daughter will most likely have to be tested until they come up with the right answers, so it may be a bumpy ride but if you hang on, you'll get there and then be able to understand and get treatment for her. Just hang on...Remember that the addiction to porn is NOT your problem and that your hubby is lusting after women on a T.V screen. YOU on the other hand, are a REAL woman. HE is the one with the problem, and it is NOT caused by you or your lack of anything. Best wishes to you...
    Aprilmorgans

Answer by Aprilmorgans at 2:14 AM on Aug. 9, 2010

• I'd say the worst thing a person can do when fighting depression is to isolate themselves. Even if you don't feel like it...force yourself outside and get some fresh air...don't worry so much about all the laundry and dishes..and make time for yourself and some friends. Talking to a therapist can really be of help if you're willing to give it a try..also try to find a support group or a fellow parent that is facing similar issues. If your daughter is getting help from Early Intervention through the state or whatever...you could ask them or your doctor on who to call. I had a wonderful conversation with another mother recently who knows all about raising a special needs daughter...since my daughter also has special needs and is currently not diagnosed with any particular named disorder..like CP or whatever. It is hard..we never have much money. Try to make yourself think of the things you have that you are thankful for too. GL!
    Heathercurlz

Answer by Heathercurlz at 2:15 AM on Aug. 9, 2010

• and I gained NOTHING! You need to see someone immediately because depression is, can, and WILL become dangerous to yourself and your family. Even if a med did make u gain 5 lbs you'd feel back to normal again and you'd want to get out and doing things and you would lose it! I do not believe in counselors I think their a bunch of BS sooo I say go talk to your family Dr and just try the medication or else you're going to find yourself in a worst situation! Because that is what happened to me. GL mommy!
    NicholeWalls

Answer by NicholeWalls at 2:17 AM on Aug. 9, 2010

• I totally know what your going through girl and I started taking lexa-pro and because I am actually feling better and happier I have actually lost weight!! Its worth a try they are just mild anti dep. and they are amazing not foggy feeling or anything!!
    proudmama9128

Answer by proudmama9128 at 2:33 AM on Aug. 9, 2010

• I'm sorry for what you are going thro'.See sometimes we all pass thro' a phase when things really turn worst.Even i've passed thro'it. Keep ur faith in God He will help u get thro' it. Try to be optimistic.Its just another phase of life & will pass soon. It often helps when you've a shoulder for support.Try to make ur hubby work on the r/ship
    A11

Answer by A11 at 2:44 AM on Aug. 9, 2010