Which Carseat Should I get?

My son just turned two years old. I had him rear-faced up until he was 22 months old. Obviously, I hoped to go much longer but it didn't work out that way. Anyway, we have the Cosco Alpha Omega car seat, the one that costs 90 bucks or thereabouts. It has been a wonderful car seat, and the one I have could be used with infants and rear-faced as well. My son was a big baby, so he has been in it since he was 5-6 months old and 20lbs (rear-faced, of course!) Now, the plastic seems to be getting worn, as well as the straps from constant exposure to the sun and a lot of use. I have the money to get him a new car seat... yay! My limit is 200 dollars. I can do 250 dollars, maybe. I was thinking about getting the Graco Nautilus Elite. My son is about 30lbs and 35-36" long. (I am guessing on the inches. He was 33 1/2" at his 18mo visit.) Anyway, should I get that car seat? Or is there another one I should consider??

ShadesofGrey

Asked by ShadesofGrey at 3:07 AM on Aug. 9, 2010 in General Parenting

• We had the Peg Perego for the infant seat and the Britax for the toddler seat. Good luck! It also depends on how much space you have in your car.
    sherribeare

Answer by sherribeare at 3:14 AM on Aug. 9, 2010

• Do you still want to rear face him? I have hear that the Graco MyRide makes a really great car seat for rear facing. After he turns 2 if you want to Forward Face him we just bought a Britax Frontier 85 for our son and it is really an awesome seat. I also heard that the sunshine kids radians xtsl's also make really great seats as well. We had the Graco Nautilus for my son but eventually the crotch strap became a problem as it was too close to him as he was almost sitting on it and making him really uncomfortable.

I don't know if you have checked out the car seat safety group but they have some car seat techs and other women who are very knowledgeable about car seats that may be able to give you some other great ideas. That is how I found out about the Britax. Anyway, best of luck. I hope you find a seat that works for your family.
    Codysmom2106

Answer by Codysmom2106 at 8:08 AM on Aug. 9, 2010

• i have the evenflo triumph... LOVE it... it's one of the top with britax for almost $200 less. lol.
    gracefulsky

Answer by gracefulsky at 8:40 AM on Aug. 9, 2010

• i have an evenflo triumph for my daughter that i paid about 120 for. i also have a britax marathon that i paid 250 for but i think you can get them from amazon now for around 200. I like both of them but the evenflo goes to 50lbs and the britax gos to 65lbs and 49 in. The evenflo is our back up carseat but the britax I have been using everyday for almost 3 years and it has no signs of wear.
    amymartinez0214

Answer by amymartinez0214 at 9:32 AM on Aug. 9, 2010

• I forgot to mention the Safety First Complete Air. I have heard great things about them as well.
    Codysmom2106

Answer by Codysmom2106 at 3:16 PM on Aug. 9, 2010