Dont know what to expect out of a funeral..

I know this SO does not belong in here, I just did not know where else to put it. Any ways, I have been to funeral's before but to be honest with you I never truly knew the person and I kinda just lingered there.. I really dont remember what happened. I already know about being respectful and black clothing.. but what I don't know is what events will take place. There will be a viewing and then immediately after the service begins.. what do I expect out of the viewing? Is there a certain side of the service I should sit on as in a wedding? I remember at one of the funerals I went to I hung out in a little room with food and coffee with other guests but I remember people hanging out for a while. I hate to say it but I dont remember why I was walking around for so long.. is there a break in between? Uhg..I feel like such an idiot.. any help would be greatly appreciated!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:10 AM on Aug. 9, 2010 in Just for Fun

• Where you sit depends on if you are a family member or not. Family members sit in the front, everyone else behind them. Most places in this day and age you have the option if you want to do the viewing or not. I refuse to do them and just politely go in another room or stand at the back of the room. After the funeral service, which will probably include prayers and maybe some other people speaking, the service is over. Sometimes there is a procession to the cemetary for the graveside part but some families choose to keep this private. And generally there is a "reception" at the church or a family member's house where people go to pay respects, visit and eat. You can choose to go to this part or not. Hope that helps you some.
    SophiaofLight

Answer by SophiaofLight at 3:18 AM on Aug. 9, 2010

• What you could do is seek the family out, offer condolences and then pay your respects to the deceased. That's the viewing part. People will get in little groups and speak with hushed tones. Some places do have an extra room aside for coffee, cookies, etc. Then, the service will begin with prayers, songs, etc. I believe you have one more chance to pay your respects to the deceased and the immediate family is either ushered out of the room or a curtain is dropped in front of the casket so it can be closed. Out of respect for the deceased, most funeral homes keep the family from seeing it. Once the casket is closed, the pallbearers will take it to the hearse and you will drive to the cemetery for a graveside service. After that there is usually a reception at someone's house or in the church. That's the memory I have of the last funeral I attended. It was a military one and it was SAD.
    Izsarejman

Answer by Izsarejman at 3:30 AM on Aug. 9, 2010

• depends who funeral itis ui guess
    san78

Answer by san78 at 6:32 AM on Aug. 26, 2010