Is corn not good for babies?

My bf keeps saying that corn(corn on the cob, canned corn..ect.) isn't good for baby because it doesn't digest properly. Our son is 15 months old. If this is true, when can I feed him it again? cause he loves it :(

CandieGirl09

Asked by CandieGirl09 at 3:13 AM on Aug. 9, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• at 15 months their digestive systems are fully functional. and besides corn doesn't really get digested however the body does absorb the nutrients from it
    aliishott2

Answer by aliishott2 at 3:14 AM on Aug. 9, 2010

• I've never heard of that, but I also don't remember ever feeding our babies corn......hmmmm
    sherribeare

Answer by sherribeare at 3:15 AM on Aug. 9, 2010

• corn is very healthy even for a 15 month old. your boyfriend is right though about it not being digested all the way though, but corn is more of a grain and that is how ALL bodies (of being able to eat solid foods) work. Feed it to your baby! xD Call your babies ped tomorrow and ask right away to get this cleared up!! Best of luck! :)
    midnight11287

Answer by midnight11287 at 3:20 AM on Aug. 9, 2010

• well, technically no one, baby or grown up, digests the actual outer shell thing of the kernels, unless you chew it up to mush before swallowing (this lead to the myth that it's not good for you)

But that doesn't mean what's inside the corn isn't healthy, your body just gets rid of the undigestable part later in the poop.
    DarkFaery131

Answer by DarkFaery131 at 3:40 AM on Aug. 9, 2010

• I am going to still continue feeding it to him. Its one of his favorite foods. Plus, I just remembered...They sell corn in baby food. It's all mushed up of course, but usually by the time it gets to the stomach, it looks like the ones in the jars do! lmao. Bf and I just always have this debate cause he loves it. lol.
    CandieGirl09

Comment by CandieGirl09 (original poster) at 3:48 AM on Aug. 9, 2010

• You shouldn't give it to young babies but yours is old enough to start feeding corn.
    dlshaner

Answer by dlshaner at 7:33 AM on Aug. 9, 2010

• i agree with dark faery about chewing the corn.
    remember that corn is a grain, not a vegetable.
    some people are opposed to corn because it is so hard to get corn that is not genetically modified.
    i think corn is one food i might buy organic if possible.
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 8:42 AM on Aug. 9, 2010

• It's loaded with fiber and helps keep the digestive track clean.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 9:27 AM on Aug. 9, 2010