when should i stop breastfeeding..

So it feels like i just had her and now my lil girl is already going to be one i think its the perfect age to stop brbreastfeeding what do u suggest.. and what do i have to do to make my milk stop from coming in ..

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:47 AM on Aug. 9, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• my nurse said that youshould stop before they turn 1 but i say you should stop when you feel its comfrotable and when you and baby are ready to stop
    lovebeinmama10

Answer by lovebeinmama10 at 7:56 AM on Aug. 9, 2010

• Many women continue breastfeeding up to 2 years or even past that. It's really a decision you have to make for yourself and what you're comfortable with. Me personally, I will be weaning at 1. We've already started the process.

What I'm doing is eliminating feedings one at a time that way it's easier on my boobs and easier on her ;-) My daughter is 10 months old.
    jacksmom3707

Answer by jacksmom3707 at 8:08 AM on Aug. 9, 2010

• I plan on nursing until my child is ready to quit on its own. The AAP and the WHO recommend AT LEAST 2 years. You can wean by replacing one feeding a day with a sippy cup until there are no more nursings.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 8:17 AM on Aug. 9, 2010

• I stopped nursing my kids around 6 months of age. It was more of an issue with teeth. Once they started cutting their sharp little teeth and using me for their teething ring, that was it! LOL. I had an over abundance of breast milk. So, I just pumped it & froze it. That way they had good breast milk to drink from a cup. I did that for about another 6 months and also used it to wean them to regular milk. As for stopping milk production, I just started cutting out pumpings every so many times and eventually dwindled it down to none.
    specialwingz

Answer by specialwingz at 8:21 AM on Aug. 9, 2010

• Usually the latest is 12 months because they can start on whole milk. But it's usually up to the mother.
    SwtSnowflake2

Answer by SwtSnowflake2 at 9:11 AM on Aug. 9, 2010

• I decided to do it until my children were drinking whole milk pretty well. Then I started weaning. But you have to do what you feel is the best for you!
    khedy

Answer by khedy at 9:46 AM on Aug. 9, 2010

• A nurse said to stop before age 1??????? *picks jaw off the floor* .... That nurse needs to be educated big time!
    2yo is "ideal".. its what the WHO recommends.. also alot of woman wait for their child to self-wean also...

Personally i breastfed until 20mo. and slowly tapered off the feedings. It took about 2mo to 100% wean.. sadly i weaned for the wrong reasons. I weaned because everyone kept asking about it & pretty much pressuring me into it.. I regret it & wont be doing it next time around until at least 2yo...

I dropped 1 feeding a week. that allowed my milk supply to slowly cut back (breast make milk on demand!) .. so i never really felt any discomfort.. I think for 1 week after nursing ended i felt "full" and top heavy but never in any pain.. Also my daughter did not fight the weaning process at all so that made it alot easier.. If she did fight & scream over it i dont think i would have weaned when i did though.
    MommaTasha1003

Answer by MommaTasha1003 at 11:53 AM on Aug. 9, 2010

• The WHO recommends a minimum of two years. You don't have to stop now.

12 months is one of the worst times to start because it is a major growth spurt and time for major milestones. Wait until that is done, then wean gradually as suggested previously. Or allow the baby to self wean.
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 12:32 PM on Aug. 9, 2010

• I think a good goal is at least 3 years. The longer you breastfeed the more benefits your child and you get.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 1:07 PM on Aug. 9, 2010

• What nurse told you to stop at 12 mo? The AAP says a MINIMUM of 12 months, the WHO says a MINIMUM of 2 yrs. I know that my goal has always been at least 2 yrs. Why switch my baby to cows milk at 12 mo when I have something better?
    I'm still nursing my 13 mo old. I offer her a couple of ounces of cows milk in a cup every night with dinner, just so that she can try it. She usually only drinks about an ounce. She still nurses plenty!
    maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 2:21 PM on Aug. 9, 2010