Refusing to eat

So my 8 month baby is refusing to eat, someone told me to try give him a spoon and stand behind him, so when he opnes his mouth I should feed him. I have been doing it but kiddo too smart, he has figures it out and is not opening his mouth to the spoon any more, so I have been putting lots of teething toys in front of him and when he opens his mouth to chew on them in with the spoon I go. But lately he figured it out too so he isnt opening his mouth anymore. I am worried sick and have no idea what to do, I have been feeding him in front of the tv toowich I read is bad so today I am starting to feed him in the dinnning room. I am afraid that he might think about eating time as a stresful time I want to amke things enjoyable but i dont know how.
Dr told me ha has to have 3 meals a day and drink less milk so this makes everything even worse because if he just eats a couple of tbspoon I have to end up bottle!!HELP!

blessingAH

Asked by blessingAH at 8:52 AM on Aug. 9, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Try telling a story when you feed, it worked wonders with me they were so mesmerized at them that they would open their mouth without realizing they were eating.

Answer by older at 8:56 AM on Aug. 9, 2010

• When my dd was going thru growing stages she would refuse food. How long has it been since he's eaten? My dd's 15 mo now & she went 2 days last week refusing to eat ANYTHING!!!!! On those days I make sure she's got her sippy cup & its full. I also give her a mixture of whole milk, hemp milk & rice cereal. The hemp milk is super high in healthy omega oils & the rice cereal is iron fortified. Now that choking isn't an issue our ped said put it in her milk anytime I give it to her.
    Nyx7

Answer by Nyx7 at 8:58 AM on Aug. 9, 2010

• is your child teething or feeling under the weather? i have never had to force feed or trick a child into eating. maybe just try to feed again at a later time?
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 8:58 AM on Aug. 9, 2010

• I have tried and he just turns his head to teh side when he sees spoon coming!!!
    blessingAH

Comment by blessingAH (original poster) at 8:58 AM on Aug. 9, 2010

• He is not sick and yes he got his first couple of teeth last week, BUT he has been doing this for a couple of months!!
    blessingAH

Comment by blessingAH (original poster) at 8:59 AM on Aug. 9, 2010

• Let him hold a spoon while you use a different spoon. Maybe he wants to be in charge and do it himself? Are you sure he's hungry? Maybe you should try feeding him at later times?
    SwtSnowflake2

Answer by SwtSnowflake2 at 9:08 AM on Aug. 9, 2010

• He needs to eat, but not baby food. That's a myth. Try ripping up small bites of whatever you are going to eat and putting it on his tray, and let him feed himself.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 9:22 AM on Aug. 9, 2010

• My oldest son did this around this same age. He was done with baby food. I just started giving him tiny chunks of our food and he ate like a grown man! Maybe it's time for the good stuff! Good luck!
    khedy

Answer by khedy at 9:43 AM on Aug. 9, 2010

• Stop trying to force him or trick him to eat, that is just going to create a food issue and food battle. You can't win a battle of wills with food! He doesn't have to eat 3 meals a day. He may eat one day and not the next. All his nutrition should come from breastmilk/formula. Babies do not digest solids that well anyway. Give him table foods to feed himself, if he eats he eats, if he doesn't that is okay! The experience should be fun an interesting, not stressful, so just simply stop trying so hard!. we do babyled weaning to solids -- read it, especially the gil rapely article. Let your baby take control of his feeds, no fussy purees or bland jars
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 12:22 PM on Aug. 9, 2010

• If he is hungry and ready for the food he will eat it. DON'T try and trick him into eating it! Offer him a variety of foods (not just on the spoon, put bite sized pieces on his tray for him to self feed as well). At 8 mo most of his diet should be breastmilk/formula. If he is not eating it he has a reason. No healthy child, of any age, will let themselves starve when healthy food is being offered. It is very important to follow baby's lead.
    maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 2:18 PM on Aug. 9, 2010