• In the Spotlight:

What is an inexpensive but effective flea treatment for cats?

We used to go to 1800petmeds.com and get a 3 month supply of Frontline, but that is over $40 and we don't have that much to spend at the moment. Do you know of any effective treatments that are around $5/ month? We want to be able to keep our kitty because we love him a lot, but we will only keep him if we can take proper care of him.

indexmom

Asked by indexmom at 12:01 AM on Oct. 6, 2008 in Pets

• Lemon juice. Use the juice of one lemon on each cat. Use the treatment once a week or so for outdoor cats. I only have one indoor cat and after being diligent with treatment all the fleas are gone. I can't remember when the last time I treated him was. I haven't seen any fleas in about 2 years.
    Quayla

Answer by Quayla at 1:25 AM on Oct. 6, 2008

• Zodiac and Biospot are good not sure of the price though I work at PETCO and can check on it tommorrow if you'd like. Just don't get Hartz its been known to make cats sick.
    Kelly0928

Answer by Kelly0928 at 12:05 AM on Oct. 6, 2008

• Okay thanks for the info I will stay away from Hartz. Please do check on the prices for me and post here for everyone else to see...thanks!
    indexmom

Answer by indexmom at 12:35 AM on Oct. 6, 2008

• biospot and zodiac worked ok for me to control the populations on both dogs and cats, but they didn't keep all the fleas away. i tried the lemon juice, i tried the dawn dish soap. didn't work for me. [inside cats but inside/outside dog]. diatomacious powder would work but i would need to order some [safe, organic, absolutely not harmful to people or pets]. i really liked advantage, but it costs too much. here's my suggestion.. try ebay for frontline/advantage. there's a seller i've been buying from the past few months that sells offbrand frontline/advantage, but it has the same active ingredients in the same proportions. it's cheap, and it's the ONLY thing i've found that works almost as well or as well as the name brand stuff. here's a link to their sales:
    http://shop.ebay.com/merchant/thefleafighters_W0QQ_nkwZQQ_armrsZ1QQ_fromZQQ_mdoZ
    sensei.izumi

Answer by sensei.izumi at 3:35 AM on Oct. 6, 2008

• also here's a $5 coupon for biospot from biospot company. it says it's for dog biospot, but the coupon may not specify. http://mybiospot.com/signup.aspx
    try these sites as well: http://www.cheappetstore.com/Cats-Kittens/Cat-Flea-Tick and http://www.dogbuffs.com/?p=106 good luck!

and if the msg above cuts of the link, the seller name is thefleafighters good luck
    sensei.izumi

Answer by sensei.izumi at 3:39 AM on Oct. 6, 2008

• Flea dips are wonderful ways to help in the beginning to end the fleas and ticks. So is Capstar, daily use pill, but I wouldn't advise it for continual use. Adams dip and shampoos is a reputable brand and has worked wonders for me. You should be able to find that at your local vet. Advantage only covers fleas not ticks, so I'm still researching a good flea and tick preventative myself. Frontline no longer works in our area. I've never tried any of the home remedies but I've heard that washing things with Dawn does help.
    ethan0530

Answer by ethan0530 at 6:47 AM on Oct. 6, 2008

• advantage now makes flea tick combos.. find their website, but i think the flea tick combo is advantix. HTH
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:50 AM on Oct. 7, 2008

• If you have a Tractor Supply Co, they have Frontline Plus.
    diana1481

Answer by diana1481 at 10:16 AM on Oct. 7, 2008

• go to ebay.com and buy frontline there it is cheaper.

Also use natural chemistry flea and tick spray. it kills fleas very well. purchase at any pet store. (petsmart, pet valu, etc)
    CamsMom82208

Answer by CamsMom82208 at 12:10 AM on Oct. 8, 2008

• Check out Drs Foster and Smiths website. They're really cheap and they have free shipping on flea stuff and prescriptions.
    Deb_Jones

Answer by Deb_Jones at 11:18 AM on Oct. 12, 2008