question about my daughter's poop adult content

My dd is mine and a half months old. Last week she was constipated (really smelly small balls while she was pushing really hard). I gave her a small bottle of the baby apple-prune juice for two days (two ounces of it once a day). Well after those two days she had a bm but it was still a little constipated but by the day after that it was much better. The only reason I'm concerned is because its been a couple days now and she has been going everyday about four to five times a day (she use to only go once possibly twice every now and then). Its been mushy most times and wet/grainy/mushy at others. Her eating habbits have not changed but now her bum is getting soooo super raw/red/bumpy. Should I be concerned?

samantha21385

Asked by samantha21385 at 9:21 AM on Aug. 9, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• bump
    SwtSnowflake2

Answer by SwtSnowflake2 at 9:24 AM on Aug. 9, 2010

• i wonder if her body is still reacting to the apple/ prune juice?
    now might be a good time to review her diet overall, to be sure this doesn't happen again!
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 9:25 AM on Aug. 9, 2010

• Put her on the BRAT diet (bananas rice applesauce and toast) for a day, and see if that doesn't straighten her out.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 9:25 AM on Aug. 9, 2010

• her rash is turning into a yeast infection, get some anti fungal cream from walmart, your dd's dehydrated, give her pedialyte or make your own @ home.
    Nyx7

Answer by Nyx7 at 9:25 AM on Aug. 9, 2010

• Is pedialite ok for a baby that young? And are there any specific anifungual creams for babies? Her diet consists of jar fruit and veggies (three a day) with four bottles of seven ounces of formula (that's all she'll take and sometimes won't even finish the bottles but always the food).
    samantha21385

Comment by samantha21385 (original poster) at 9:33 AM on Aug. 9, 2010

• I would check with her doc before you put anything on the rash. Try cutting back on the amount of food and push more formula and maybe a little water with the food. She needs hydration before the jar food. That is what I would try if it were me! Good luck!
    khedy

Answer by khedy at 9:41 AM on Aug. 9, 2010

• Thanks I'm just a little worried
    samantha21385

Comment by samantha21385 (original poster) at 10:19 AM on Aug. 9, 2010

• Call the pediatrician's office and get their OK for the pedialite. I think the bottle says its for ages 12 months+. Also, try a combo of vasaline and diaper rash cream on her rash every time you change her. Put on a thick layer. You should notice a different in its appearance in a day or so.
    HotMama330

Answer by HotMama330 at 12:27 PM on Aug. 9, 2010

• Your problem is the jar fruit and veggies. There isn't near enough fiber! She should be on regular table food. water pears plums prunesare constipation remedies. no juice--too much sugar and not enough fiber. give her fresh fruits and veggies, meal share. read this (especially gil rapely's article) babyled solids
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 12:27 PM on Aug. 9, 2010

• Sounds normal - she's pooping often because she's got a lot to clear out. Her butt is probably sore (you know what constipation can feel like for adults), and a little rashy because of all the exposure to poo. It might be yeast... or it could just be normal rash. If you can, let her crawl around clean and bare-bottomed, that helps a lot for either.

Jarred pears and prunes always helped my little guy (some jarred foods do have enough fiber to help), but the fresh fruits and veggies are better. Stay away from any foods that you've noticed tends to block her up - common foods that increase constipation are apple sauce, bananas, cheese, rice, etc. And lots of fluids helps, too.
    Sebbiemama

Answer by Sebbiemama at 9:05 PM on Aug. 9, 2010