what animal would you get to a 2 year old?

rabbit
puppy
kitten
frog ( he loves frogs but im scare he will lick it)
fish
turtle
birds

Alejandra10

Asked by Alejandra10 at 9:22 AM on Aug. 9, 2010 in Pets

• I would say a puppy.
    katrinad

Answer by katrinad at 9:30 AM on Aug. 9, 2010

• puppy
    MTM

Answer by MTM at 9:36 AM on Aug. 9, 2010

• As long as you are aware that it is really YOUR animal, you're ok. Even my 8 year old forgets!

Rabbits aren't so good--they have VERY strong hind legs and can cause serious damage when they kick. Frogs/fish/turtles are safe and easy, because they stay in aquariums. But you need a great filter system. Those dinky things sold in kits are horrible. yes, this is from experience. Kittens are dicey--some cats are AMAZING with kids when they grow up, while others are not. I have one of each! A puppy is great if you are willing to put in the effort that goes into training one. Remember though--those cute little lapdogs are often more fearful of young children, while the larger ones can harm your child simply because they don't realize how large they are. I have dogs, cats, fish, and guinea pigs. Honestly, the fish are the best for my kids. They feed them every other day, and that's about all I can expect.
    squeegeatc

Answer by squeegeatc at 9:37 AM on Aug. 9, 2010

• None. A two year old is not capable of restraint and would likely hurt the animal. If you are going to get one anyway, a bird is a good choice as long as the cage is not where our LO can reach.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 9:25 AM on Aug. 9, 2010

• something stuffed & not alive
    Nyx7

Answer by Nyx7 at 9:29 AM on Aug. 9, 2010

• I wouldn't get a child this young a pet. I would want to wait until they could help with a lot of the care. And often when kids are older they promise to take care of the pet but Mom ends up doing so much of it!
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 9:29 AM on Aug. 9, 2010

• we already have a poodle and he is great with her plays with her and he knows his not supose to try and carry her or hurt her. so i know he wont mistreat the animals. we had 2 bunnies also well he only saw one by the time he was born. he was around the bunny for about 1 1/2 years and he never did anythign to the bunny. he would just pad it nicely. ofcourse i will be doing all the work for taking care of the lil one ( the food showering cleaning taking him to the vet so im not just getting the animal so my son can take care of him)
    Alejandra10

Comment by Alejandra10 (original poster) at 9:35 AM on Aug. 9, 2010

• Any of them as long as they are of the stuffed variety.
    motherofhope98

Answer by motherofhope98 at 9:43 AM on Aug. 9, 2010