Do you have any hobbies that you stopped doing once you had kids?

I love cooking, baking, scrapbooking and embroidering but I'm getting ready to have my first baby in November... will I ever get to enjoy these activities again?

elizabiza

Asked by elizabiza at 9:35 AM on Aug. 9, 2010 in Hobbies & Crafts

• I used to scrapbook when I only had 1 child. Now with 3 I don't have the time or urge to do it anymore. I am much more into photography now - fun for me and creates life long memories of my kids.
    Orionsgirl

Answer by Orionsgirl at 9:38 AM on Aug. 9, 2010

• you might but it will take a while. i used to love to write and read. i wrote poems all the tiime but it stopped when i had my kids. they are 6 and 4 and i am just starting to get back into reading books and writing again. you might find that your hobbies change after the baby is born. you might like other things.
    jamiethornton26

Answer by jamiethornton26 at 9:42 AM on Aug. 9, 2010

• Lets see...um sleeping, showering for more than a minute and a half, tweezing my eyebrows, doing more with my hair than something that involves an elastic band, and anything that occurs after 9 p.m.
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 9:43 AM on Aug. 9, 2010

• Actually this is a great question. I had many hobbies that I did which I found very enjoyable and it just so happens recently I was reflecting about those hobbies and saying to myself that maybe I should bring some of them back again. And why did I wait so long to go back to them.
    CafeMochaMom1

Answer by CafeMochaMom1 at 9:49 AM on Aug. 9, 2010

• I actually got MORE interested in scrapbooking once I had my dd.. and baking/cooking gets really fun when they are old enough to "help" you :) You may get more interested in healthier, wholesome food for your little one, and maybe instead of buying gerber you can make your own baby food which is much healthier & cheaper! :) I also love reading & still find time to do it, im just reading more parenting books than fiction (but i still find time for fiction too!)...
    Since Ive had her Ive bought a sewing machine & have tried to crochet too but cant really get a hand of it at all...
    I think we just have less time to do hobbies, but just remember having "you time" is important.. its good for momma not to forget who she is and to have some time to destress!
    MommaTasha1003

Answer by MommaTasha1003 at 11:38 AM on Aug. 9, 2010

• It'll take a while but you will get back into enjoying them again. I lost mine after the birth of my 3 dd and my other 2 kids were all grown and we bought this acre land that takes forever to take care of I just recently started reading again. I started to sew, make crafts do some scrapbooking and she's 8 now. If you don't want it to go away just make a little bit of time in your day to do 1 thing maybe
    Moms_Angels1960

Answer by Moms_Angels1960 at 12:02 PM on Aug. 9, 2010

• I was too exhausted to read for a while after each birth. I eventually got back into reading. Our youngest is at the age now (will be a year old in a couple days) where it is easier for me to find time to read. With the older two in school in a couple days I hope to be able to find time to cross stitch more too.
    countryspun

Answer by countryspun at 12:03 PM on Aug. 9, 2010

• I stopped making afghans as much, sort of ran of people to give them to. Then I ended up having 7 GR-chd to make them for.
    MyAngel003

Answer by MyAngel003 at 5:32 PM on Aug. 9, 2010

• i never stopped i still enjoy doing my crafts
    dutchcanadain

Answer by dutchcanadain at 7:06 PM on Aug. 9, 2010

• I was a musician, that stopped with my firstborn and I haven't returned to it. I started painting after the kids were nearly out of school.
    tasches

Answer by tasches at 5:02 PM on Aug. 10, 2010