Question about being confident...

...how do you do it? I mean...how does one become confident if they are not. Im feeling defeated and want to increase my confidence, but not sure how to go about it. Can anyone help me with this?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:37 AM on Aug. 9, 2010 in Relationships

• Find something that you enjoy doing and that you are good at doing. In my own personal experience, the older I got the more confident I became. Mainly because I discovered things that I was good at and that made me proud of myself.
    shanlaree

Answer by shanlaree at 9:41 AM on Aug. 9, 2010

• The thing that helped me was zoloft and a counselor. Also the fact that I have a loving and supportive husband helped me boost my confidence tremendously. It takes time, but you'll get there. What really did it for me was that I was tired of beating myself up over stuff I had no control over. Once I realized that, everything else just kind of fell into place.

An INSTANT confidence booster is a smile though. It's hard to feel bad when you're smiling, just try it! :-) GL
    nicolemstacy

Answer by nicolemstacy at 9:41 AM on Aug. 9, 2010

• stand and sit up straight, hold your head up high, do not look down when you walk, look people straight in the eye, talk to your self saying things like I am confident, I am smart, I am strong, repeat, repeat again.....Take classes get out there meet people. make it a point to say hello to at least one stranger a day. do that for a while then make it a point to strike up a short conversation with a stranger once a day.
    Sometimes it helps to think of a confident person you know and admire and "borrow" their back bone and confidence. By that I mean act like they do, strong, independant, confident of themselves.
    G/L
    justgrape723

Answer by justgrape723 at 9:43 AM on Aug. 9, 2010

• Confidence is built little by little. By doing things that prove to yourself that you are capable of accomplishing that which you set out to do in the first place. If you have fear or reluctance to try something and then find the courage to go ahead and try it no matter what, and you achieve the results that you are looking for then you will feel better about yourself. The more you accomplish that turns out the way you would like it, the confidence level increases with it.
    CafeMochaMom1

Answer by CafeMochaMom1 at 9:46 AM on Aug. 9, 2010

• I would find a form of martial arts and also get up every day and do one thing that makes you feel better. Remember who you are and know it can only get better.
    pinkdragon36

Answer by pinkdragon36 at 9:48 AM on Aug. 9, 2010

• I pretty much agree with justgrape.

When I was at my lowest point, I walked with my head down, I never smiled at anyone. I always thought to myself, how do I get more confident?

For me, it was joining rotc in highschool. I joined the drill team. They make you march with your shoulders back and your head held high. After a while, this became natural for me. And then I noticed people noticing me. That made me feel great. Even though on the inside I felt no confidence on the outside I looked very confident.

Now, I've developed an attitude of "I don't care what you think of me" and I do things FOR ME! I put makeup on because *i* want to feel pretty, not because I want everyone else to see me as so. I dress nice because I want to. I smile for no reason. All of this has helped me tremendously.

Good luck mama!!!! Embrace yourself, and love yourself. And you will be more confident!!
    ToriBabe1221

Answer by ToriBabe1221 at 9:50 AM on Aug. 9, 2010

• Confidence comes naturally when you feel good about yourself. If you focus too closely on yourself and your short comings, it will not come. Focus on doing things that make you a better person. If you work, do your job to the best of your ability. Help others. Increase your education and knowledge in areas that are interesting to you. You will find that if you look outward and forward, your life will fall into place and confidence is a by-product of that positive momentum.
    kathyartist2007

Answer by kathyartist2007 at 12:11 PM on Aug. 9, 2010