Do you take a family vacation each year? Are you cutting down on vacations because of the recession?

I normally go on a one in the summer, but ths year I have cut back on spending (one two-day trips was all we did, and we drove). I would rather be safe than sorry later.

Amy1022

Asked by Amy1022 at 9:40 AM on Aug. 9, 2010 in Travel

• We have a camper so we are still able to go on mini vacations (1-4 days) as well as 1-2 week vacations because we don't have the high cost of a hotel room and eating out. We prepare our meals in the camper or on the grill.
    Plus with all the bed bug infestations in hotels I have been hearing about I am happy to NOT go to a hotel
    justgrape723

Answer by justgrape723 at 9:52 AM on Aug. 9, 2010

• Yes, we do take at least one family vacation each year; we do not plan to cut back on that.
    FootballMom85

Answer by FootballMom85 at 9:43 AM on Aug. 9, 2010

• We didn't go the last two years, I was very glad that we were able to this year. We spent a week at the gulf in a beach house, it was wonderful.
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 9:42 AM on Aug. 9, 2010

• We did our annual week in Yosemite this July because we had pre-booked. But we didn't do our yearly Disneyland vacation in April due to finances.
    Orionsgirl

Answer by Orionsgirl at 9:42 AM on Aug. 9, 2010

• Haven't been on vacation in 17 years, so not really cutting back.... LOL... out of sight, out of mind... can't really miss what you never had... I miss my Sunday paper and my caller ID.... someday...
    WoodWitch

Answer by WoodWitch at 9:44 AM on Aug. 9, 2010

• I am taking my boys to Texas for 10 days later this month. My family is there and I am still blessed with 2 living grandmothers. I will go every year as long as they are living. We plan for the trip every year, kind of like Christmas so it is an expect and planned ahead expense.

We are also going to the coast for an extra long Labor Day weekend. We have a fifth wheel so that cuts our expenses a lot.

My husband and I work more than 50 hours a week and our jobs are very demanding, a vacation is almost a necessity for us.
    yourspecialkid

Answer by yourspecialkid at 9:45 AM on Aug. 9, 2010

• My DH and I both work in an industry where the money and business is booming in the summer so we don't get to get away in the warm months anyway. We put in a pool, we call it our staycation.
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 9:47 AM on Aug. 9, 2010

• Yes we do it has been hard with the girls having different dates of school ending for break but we have managed to get two in actually.
    MTM

Answer by MTM at 9:48 AM on Aug. 9, 2010

• we've only done "vacation" a couple times- usually it's 2-3 nights somewhere if we do it
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 9:53 AM on Aug. 9, 2010

• We do a road trip and sometimes 2 every summer. We always visit my great uncle who just turned 90. And we do fun day trips (like whale watching) instead of a fancy resort someplace. The cost equals just the airfare of flying somewhere, so it is obvious that right now the road trip is the way to go.

Saving up for a big trip overseas in the next couple of years, though.
    balagan_imma

Answer by balagan_imma at 10:24 AM on Aug. 9, 2010