Shelby will be 6 months old on the 30th. She occasionally rolls from her back to her stomach, never from her stomach to her back. She absolutely hates it when she is on her tummy. Tummy time is miserable, no matter what toys we use. Any advise to get her to do tummy time and start rolling. I don't want her to get "behind".

zeusycat

Asked by zeusycat at 12:06 AM on Oct. 6, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• My daughter used to hate tummy time--my guess was that she her head was just too big for her body and the neck muscles couldn't cope for long periods. She's now 12 yrs old and an athlete (and really feels sorry for herself watching the old videos, lol). Don't stress too much about individual milestones. If the baby is happy and responsive socially, she will do the rest on her own personal schedule. If tummy time is miserable, leave it alone for a couple of days and then reintroduce a little bit at a time without pushing past the point where she is getting frustrated. The less you and she stress over it, the quicker it will come.
    mushmushmom

Answer by mushmushmom at 12:19 AM on Oct. 6, 2008

• My ds hates tummy time too. But he will do it in his Boppy or laying on my chest, so we just excersize the muscles that way as often as possible. It's still not quite as good as doing it on the floor, but my doctor said that it's way better than nothing!
    SamanthaAgain

Answer by SamanthaAgain at 12:27 AM on Oct. 6, 2008

• My daughter was the same way. I was worried she would get behind too. She made such a fuss over tummy time I finally said fine have it your way and just let her do her thing. She wasn't rolling over very well either. But now she is 9 months, crawls everywhere, stands by herself, walks while holding onto stuff with only one hand, and she has been doing all this for over a month now. Our doctor told us she is pretty advanced. So I say just let her do her thing. It's all natural and it will come to her.
    JoonBug21

Answer by JoonBug21 at 1:35 AM on Oct. 6, 2008

• my baby is a month and a half and she can hold her head up pretty well for her age and sometimes i put her on her tummy and she picks her haead up and looks side to side but when she has had enough, she has had enough so i pick her up so my suggestion is not to worry that babies have their own time line and it is ok to help but sometimes they just get so frustrated and it isnt worth it just feel better that your not straining her o and becare to make sure she doesnt roll on her tummy at sleep time
    mommynbabygirl

Answer by mommynbabygirl at 7:58 AM on Oct. 6, 2008

• My niece is about that age and rollong, but she hates tummy time!! She will turn onto her stomach and just start crying about it, lol.
    grahamom

Answer by grahamom at 9:35 AM on Oct. 6, 2008

• Thats funny. My 5 month old is the same way. She hates tummy time but thats what makes her roll on her back... she doesnt roll the other way. I thought they did tummy-to-back first.
    LovinMyMikayla

Answer by LovinMyMikayla at 11:39 AM on Oct. 6, 2008

• I had the same problem with my girl. She was early so she has therapists coming over a couple times a week. They suggested that we slowly get her to enjoy her tummy by placing her on our chest and working until she was flat on her tummy. It didn't work very well with her, so we tried using a boppy pillow. She still hated it. She cried and cried every single time. We had to make her do it anyway. After a couple of weeks of 15 minutes tummy sessions 4 times a day, she eventually enjoyed it because her neck muscles grew strong enough. Basically, just keep at it. She won't cry over it for long.
    sammygrl77

Answer by sammygrl77 at 6:34 PM on Oct. 6, 2008