Did you experience an "adjustment period" when you changed your toddler's day care provider?

My 15 month old changed day care providers last week and she is most definitely having an adjustemnt period. She comes home everyday exhausted and cranky and is asleep by 7:30. She also has a meltdown if I leave the room......

If you changed your day care provider, did you experience any adjustment symptoms and if so how long before your child was back to thier normal self??

chefronswife

Asked by chefronswife at 9:50 AM on Aug. 9, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Ya know it depends on the child.I went through it with 1 of mine, my soon to be 5 yr old. She's a spit fire.' Has an attitude about everything lately, but thats not why,.It can take anywhere from a few days to 2 weeks to 2 months .I think the "so called NORM," is about 2 weeks and you should see it calming down after the 1st one.
    Stefono

Answer by Stefono at 9:57 AM on Aug. 9, 2010

• about three weeks..i'm not sure who bit first, but within the first couple days, i had 'incident reports' to sign. this went on three days in a row..then one the next week, then one the last. like i said, i don't remember who bit first, but it wasn't my ds everytime. that i do remember. he was angry and scared (who wouldn't be?)...but then, like a switch, it all turned off, and nothing was rosier.
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 9:57 AM on Aug. 9, 2010

• I recently changed providers and I very much am having this same issue.. its like meltdown city for me once we are in the truck on the way home and we battle the rest of the night.. he's so over tired or cranky whether he naps or not.. I am hoping it fades with time though...
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 11:30 AM on Aug. 9, 2010

• Well I would like to think it is because my girl is not wandering around, playing and watching TV all day...that maybe she has some structure and it is more of a learning environment....
    I also think that it is because she is no longer napping in a pack and play that she naps on a nap mat like the other kids.

maxsmom - the only way I get throught the ride home is with a banana and sippy with milk. :)
    chefronswife

Comment by chefronswife (original poster) at 12:17 PM on Aug. 9, 2010

• With my first son, we definitely experienced this and it took several weeks for him to completely adjust to the changes. Remember that most toddlers thrive on routine and predictability. This is true on a daily basis, so kids who only attend day care sporadically will have a really difficult time getting into the groove. Toddlers also can have trouble with transitions from one activity to another. See if you can work with the teacher to come up with a consistent set of practices when your child moves from one thing to the next. You should follow the same routine at drop off. You might, say, give a warning ahead of time about what is going to happen, have a song or special activity that is done right at the time things change, and some sort of follow up later.
    barefootbooks

Answer by barefootbooks at 3:22 PM on Aug. 9, 2010