Catholics: why do you feel all those 'images' are necessary to your faith?

If they were taken away, wouldn't you still be able to worship? If they weren't there, wouldn't your faith still be strong enough to still feel the prescence of your god and connect with him? Why do you feel it necessary to be so visual- why the need to see things right in front of you in order to remind you of your faith?

IhartU

Asked by IhartU at 10:08 AM on Aug. 9, 2010 in Religious Debate

• Yes there still would be worship, yes we still be in the presents of God, etc. This line of questioning is similar to asking why do people hang pictures of their love ones around the house? Why do they hang wedding pictures? School pictures? baby pictures? Why do we feel the need to take snap shots of almost every aspect of our life's. First day of school? Vacations? Dance recital? Musicals? Field trips? Birthday parties? Why do we hang this pictures, keep photo albums, etc. It's to remind us, help us remember our family, love ones, those moments, etc. Surely you don't need them to remember do you?? Of course not, but it is nice to look back. Statues, paints, etc were the FIRST pictures.
    SAHMinIL2

Answer by SAHMinIL2 at 10:20 AM on Aug. 9, 2010

• I'm not Catholic, but I think the churches are beautiful.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 11:51 AM on Aug. 9, 2010

• I am not catholic, but am Hindu. LOTS of Hindu's have images & deities all over the house. They're supposed to serve as a reminder. Every time you look at it, you are thinking of god. Of course there would still be worship without them. But, some just like having them around as a reminder that go is everywhere. I know that every time i turn the corner & see my Krishna statue i say a prayer. It's supposed to help people keep god in the back their mind at all times regardless of what they are doing throughout the day.

samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 10:29 AM on Aug. 9, 2010

• You're right we are misunderstood. And think I just misunderstood you. So if I did I'm sorry. What I have never understood even When I was Proestant was the fact that they down play the suffering He endured. The Crucifix reminds of the love he had for us to endure this. For without the suffering the rising would never happen. Forgetting those who walked this path before us also down plays His life and theirs. We can learn from them. Grow stronger in God with them through their prayers.

oldermomof5

Answer by oldermomof5 at 10:43 AM on Aug. 9, 2010

• i am not sure what images you are referring to.
    but i do know that some people learn better with visuals (like reading text) and some learn better through auditory channels (like hearing a sermon) and others learn best by hands on experience.
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 10:21 AM on Aug. 9, 2010

• They aren't necessary, I just like them sometimes. They are often used to tell stories and are often very beautiful works of art. It doesn't change my faith and for the most part I'm not around very many religious images in my everyday life and yet I still practice my faith. It's really personal choice, if you like it, look at it.

RyansMom001

Answer by RyansMom001 at 10:23 AM on Aug. 9, 2010

• Hindu's also get ridiculed for idol worship. We're not at all worshipping idols at all, that is a huge misconception. Again, they just serve as a reminder to love god at all times regardless what you are doing.

samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 10:31 AM on Aug. 9, 2010

• Worship would take place in a field and it would happen. Images are just that someones thoughts and feelings of god the out pouring of their love necessary no can worship take place without them yes.

pinkdragon36

Answer by pinkdragon36 at 10:32 AM on Aug. 9, 2010

• Amy you're right but also wrong, as are many. We ask Her to pray for us. As we ask the Saints to pray for us, and those here on earth to pray for us. For we believe they are alive in Heaven. That they can take our petitions to God. We also Pray directly to God. Christ shows us that There are those who alive in heaven thorough the transfiguration. In Which Moses and Elijah appear with him. The OT talks of their Assumption. Paul also writes that we should pray for each other not those here on this earth but also those in Heaven. When you see someone kneeling in front of a statue they are praying, To God and asking that Saint to pray for them. As I said before When you kneel anywhere to pray are you worshiping that object or person? No you're not. For worship is for God and God alone. No matter what name you give him.

oldermomof5

Answer by oldermomof5 at 11:08 AM on Aug. 9, 2010

• Why do they find it necessary to let the Vatican stand as it is and how much it COSTS....when people are dying of starvation While you're at it. Attack feed the Children. For their operating costs are very high. While 95% of of the money that goes to Catholic Charities goes directly to those in need without questions. Catholic Charities is one of the highest charities in the world. They were one of the first if the first on hand in Haiti and after Katrina. At least those who complain of how we worship have a little bit of a legitimate argument.

oldermomof5

Answer by oldermomof5 at 11:57 AM on Aug. 9, 2010