how much should i charge?

I've been considering taking an offer to help this woman take care of her 18 month old boy two days out of the week. I've worked in childcare before in a licensed facility and I have kids of my own, so taking care of the child is not the problem. I just don't know how much I should charge. I want to be reasonable. What's a good price for this situation. Two days out of a week for 9 hours each day. I'll provide breakfast lunch and snack. And if I were to provide diapers and wipes?

khmymommi

Asked by khmymommi at 10:14 AM on Aug. 9, 2010 in Money & Work

• The parent should provide the diapers and wipes. I'd charge about $5/hr so about $45 a day.
    SabrenaLeigh

Answer by SabrenaLeigh at 10:16 AM on Aug. 9, 2010

• Ask yourself what could I live with where I wouldn't feel bitter or regret? You said you were trying to help her, so is her situation such that finances get in the way of her receiving childcare elsewhere if your price is not fair? An 18 month old isn't going to eat you out of the pantry so food will be like a slice of cheese and a couple crackers for a meal, add a carrot or an apple, maybe $1-$2 extra for food a day. Ask her to bring the food she wants you to feed the child and save on hassle and expense. I pay my sitters $10/hr. for two kids. I think minimum wage is fair. Remember, you get what you pay for.
    jajr22

Answer by jajr22 at 10:23 AM on Aug. 9, 2010

• About $25 per day is the going rate around here, with the parent providing the diapers.
    justnancyb

Answer by justnancyb at 10:24 AM on Aug. 9, 2010

• $5 an hour is nothing! When i was 17 i was getting paid $12 an hour to watch toddlers. I would settle on a weekly price, like $125-$150 for the two days. That is a reasonable price for you & her. It has to be worth it to you. If you think that is too much for her, then tell her the price is negotiable (if it is) You don't want to feel as if you are going out of your way for nothing, you will get resentful if it's not worth it for you.

samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 10:24 AM on Aug. 9, 2010

• Around here the going rate is $20 to $25 per day. I think she should provided the diapers and wipes for sure!
    ria7

Answer by ria7 at 10:24 AM on Aug. 9, 2010

• My mom babysits. She charges $25/day if she provides diapers, wipes, snacks and food. $18/day if she just provides the snacks and other food and $15/day if she provides nothing but herself (meaning the mom brings everything). For older kids, she makes sure she provides food (when they no long eat the special baby stuff) so there's no arguing over food from all the kids.
    Kiwismommy19

Answer by Kiwismommy19 at 10:25 AM on Aug. 9, 2010

• $25 per day, she provides diapers and wipes.
    Gaccck

Answer by Gaccck at 10:27 AM on Aug. 9, 2010

• I pay $50 per day, but I think that is too high. I'm in NY. I'd say $25 - $30 per day. She should provide wipes and diapers. That's the mother's choice - brand of diaper and size. Just have her bring in a package of each and give her notice when you are getting low.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 11:48 AM on Aug. 9, 2010

• Will she sign a liability waiver? Otherwise, you will have the added expense of insurance

Answer by rkoloms at 11:50 AM on Aug. 9, 2010