I think my water may be leaking water but Im not sure. Are there any signs other than fluid coming out? Should I call or just wait and see. I have a doc appt tomorrow morning. PLEASE HELP FAST

Mom2beX2

Asked by Mom2beX2 at 12:14 AM on Oct. 6, 2008 in Pregnancy

• i personally would call just to make sure you never know .. your baby may not want to wait til tomorrow ...
    iloveyall2008

Answer by iloveyall2008 at 12:17 AM on Oct. 6, 2008

• I remember my daughter kicked my bladder so hard that i thought my water broke. I had them check and everything was fine. Go ahead and call just to be safe. You don't need to worry yourself sick about it. It will ease your mind. Good luck and best wishes.
    discoverytoygal

Answer by discoverytoygal at 12:20 AM on Oct. 6, 2008

• You need to call because if it is your water than they need to get you in RIGHT AWAY!!! My water broke at home and at first it was just in my panties and than about 10 minutes after that it was pouring on the floor. I talked to my nurse when it was just some in my panties and she told me a needed to come to the hospital. But the time I got there my pants were soaked and I had no pain at all!
    Kenzies_momma

Answer by Kenzies_momma at 12:21 AM on Oct. 6, 2008

• What does it smell like? I know that sounds funny but it will have a different smell than urine. You will not be able to control the flow and the fluid will probably continue to leak until your baby is born, especially with contraction and position change. The fluid should be clear and odor free. Do not make any vaginal entry after your membranes rupture, such as tub bath or intercourse, It is OK to take a shower. Be sure it is not just vaginal discharge. I have LOTS of VD at the end of pregnancy.
    pwfaith

Answer by pwfaith at 12:22 AM on Oct. 6, 2008

• Thanks Ladies! I called and they told me to come in...so on the one hour journey to the hospital i go!!
    Mom2beX2

Answer by Mom2beX2 at 12:24 AM on Oct. 6, 2008

• good luck let me know how it goes honey !!!
    iloveyall2008

Answer by iloveyall2008 at 12:25 AM on Oct. 6, 2008

• The easiest way to tell if your water has broken is to put on a clean maxi pad and lay down for about thirty minutes. Then stand up, if you notice a small puddle then you probably have ruptured membranes. Because the water will collect in the vagina and leak out only when you stand up. Remember that urine and amniotic fluid (water) smell very different, and look different, urine is yellow and amniotic fluid is usually a straw or clear color, or in rare instances green or brown.

While it's a popular myth that many people begin labor with their water breaking, actually only about 12% of women will begin labor this way. 75% of the time your water will not break until after 9 centimeters. http://www.childbirth.org/AskANurse/laboring/laboring12.html
    pwfaith

Answer by pwfaith at 12:25 AM on Oct. 6, 2008

• If it is, you do need to call but if it's clear, it's likely you don't need to rush, unless you are having contractions too. If it's just your water, get in when you can, when you get everything together, no need to speed lol they only start to worry about infection after about 12 hrs.
    pwfaith

Answer by pwfaith at 12:26 AM on Oct. 6, 2008

• You need to call your dr tonight. As you know there is always someone on call. They will likely send you to the local ER or to the OB unit in the hospital to get the fluid tested.

Last week I thought I was leaking fluid and I waited until the next morning to call my Dr. It turned out not to be fluid but a yeast infection (yeah TMI), however, my dr scolded in a nice manner saying that leaking fluid of any sort is not a matter to take lightly and to call anytime day or night.
    girlneffy

Answer by girlneffy at 1:21 AM on Oct. 6, 2008