How did you handle your 2 year old hitter?

Over the past 2 weeks, my soon-to-be 2 year old has started hitting and biting- a lot- and I find myself getting really frustrated with her behavior. She knows it's not okay and says "I sorry mommy for hitting/biting" and knows that it hurts and isn't okay to do. She loves time outs, being a long in her room doesn't phase her, how did you handle this stage with your two year old without going nuts? :)

LishaBee

Asked by LishaBee at 10:24 AM on Aug. 9, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I used to catch her little hands, hang on, snuggle her in, run my hand gently on her cheek and say gentle touches.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 10:29 AM on Aug. 9, 2010

• my son used to be like that to. im not the person to hit so i would always be consistant. everytime he hit he would sit int he corner and all his toys were put away. he wouldnt play and he had tosit in the corner. usully he would be cryin gn crying because iw ould take the toys away but i would just make sure he stayed in the corner and camly tell him he would be able to ply until he stoped cryign and after his time out because he was not supose to hit. so i would let him cry it out once he stoped cryign then i would wait a couple minutes and then go get him. i start this a little bit before he turned 2 thoough. and i started by putting him in his crib since he couldnt get out of their. i woudl put hi in the crib and made sure he didnt have toys. now he is doing much better and he doesnt hit unless someone hits him and he knows that when he is in time out he has to stay there an it because he did something he wasnt supose to
    Alejandra10

Answer by Alejandra10 at 10:32 AM on Aug. 9, 2010

• try a time out in a different spot. i like loving's answer a lot!!!!
    i used to say we hug, we don't hit. i think that coupled with a big hug would be perfect!
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 10:41 AM on Aug. 9, 2010

• Spanking will stop it.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 10:45 AM on Aug. 9, 2010

• when my dd would bite, i let out a really loud ouch! and she has not bit me since. When she would hit i would hold her hands down and and in a stern voice (not yelling) tell her she is not aloud to hit mommy because she is hurting mommy! then i would get her to say she was sorry!
    mommylisar

Answer by mommylisar at 10:47 AM on Aug. 9, 2010

• We use a pack and play as time out. Just the threat of having to go in there is enough to stop bad behavior. There are too many things to play with if her entire room is time out and that's not much of a punishment.
    HotMama330

Answer by HotMama330 at 12:59 PM on Aug. 9, 2010