already thinking about Christmas :(

I am summer girl! It feels like winter will never end but summer goes too fast! So i am already thinking of Christmas. We exchanged names for the kids in our family because we have so many. We spend $50...and i have no clue what to put down for my daughter who is 2 but looks like she is 15mnths she is so small and acts 5 with her smarts and independence! She is also spoiled and has just about everything! LOL so my question is what to tell people to get her?! We have to tell 4 sets of grandparents because both sides of our family is divorced and 2 familys gift exchanges. HELP i dont know what to tell becasuse she really does have everything because she is the only grandchild on my hubby side and the baby on my side! what do you suggest?

babymaddy

Asked by babymaddy at 10:38 AM on Aug. 9, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I hear you. Every year my family asks what to get my kids. My oldest is 15 and he's so hard to buy for. He doesn't need anything. If I have a good idea, I'm going to get it for him. My little ones have so much crap, I don't want anymore. It's tough, and it just gets worse as they get older. Maybe ask for art supplies. You can keep them on a shelf and take them out when needed. They'll last a long time.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 11:24 AM on Aug. 9, 2010

• why dont you juts let them pick whatever they want to get her. or maybe some clothes or something that she will used
    Alejandra10

Answer by Alejandra10 at 10:40 AM on Aug. 9, 2010

• How about savings bonds for her college education, or a memory album of grandma and grandpa's lives?
    ohwrite

Answer by ohwrite at 10:44 AM on Aug. 9, 2010

• My kids are the only grandchildren on my side, and they have a ton of toys. So what my mom does is she will buy a few toys or clothes for them to open on Christmas and then the rest of the money she would have spent on them she puts in their bank savings accounts and gives them the slip at christmas so they can see how much they have.
    MizLee

Answer by MizLee at 10:50 AM on Aug. 9, 2010

• It sounds like you don't want or need any more items in your house. I would explain to your family the situation, that thanks to their previous generosity your daughter has more than she needs. That you don't have room for more toys and that you worry that your daughter will become spoiled.

I would set up a college fund and ask that instead of gifts.
    and/or
    For gifts to be given to children in need instead. (We did this in our family last year.)

NOTE: It is the right of the gift giver to do what they please. So just say thank you if gifts are still given. If someone insists on a gift, then think of something practical. My kids always need socks and shoes since they wear out so quickly.
    Niki_sd

Answer by Niki_sd at 10:54 AM on Aug. 9, 2010

• They do get what they want...i am not one of those people who say this is what is on her list get it. I dont even care if people dont get her anything i know what the true meaning of Chirstmas is. But they ask for ideas on what to get her so i like to give them ideas. and she has a TON of clothes because i babysit my girlfriends daughter who is a year older than my daughter and she gives me all her clothes so between me buying and her giving she has those. I thought about telling money but i know at the family get togethers they want to give toys because all the other kids are opening toys and she wouldnt have anything to open and play with. just need some ideas of what to tell them!
    babymaddy

Comment by babymaddy (original poster) at 10:58 AM on Aug. 9, 2010

• What about a small gift, like a great book or art kit, and a big donation to your daughter's college fund.

Answer by rkoloms at 11:47 AM on Aug. 9, 2010

• Clothes she can grow into.
    HotMama330

Answer by HotMama330 at 12:46 PM on Aug. 9, 2010

• Could you ask for a group activity? Maybe something that all (or a lot) of the grandkids/family can do together? They can buy tickets (and snacks) to a cool museum or aquarium or someplace that your daughter might enjoy. If they really want her to unwrap something on Christmas day, how about a book that relates to the place you are going, or an empty photo album that you can put pictures of this christmas and trip into.

I think books are always good gifts, especially if it is a little above her reading level, so she can use it for a while.
    Sebbiemama

Answer by Sebbiemama at 8:17 PM on Aug. 9, 2010